Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I've been working with DD on photography & editing. Here are 2 orp pics that she will likely enter.
Pic 1: Jewel (You'll see her awkward chick pics in post 13902. She's pretty now. Of course I like her "OMG! expression")
Jewel- edit by kim.jpg

Pic #2 is for photo editing. DD did a great job with the editing, but it really helped to use our handsome Brick as the model. DH thinks we should pin it up inside the coop for the hens.
rooster 2 by kim - Copy.jpg

Faraday40 you got BEAUTIFUL ORPS :love
I started "chickens" back in 2013 when I was given a nearly featherless black Orp chick (picked on by brood). Was named Penny but turned out to be a Penner:hitHad to rehome him but I was hooked! Have had Buffs (hatchery) over the years, LOVE the breed and hope someday to have a few Lavenders ;)

Here are some of my current babies.
BTW- The silver laced orps are my favs, so forgive the extra pics of them.
I have 1 male:

silver-laced-male-jpg.1096655

(Don't you just love his grumpy little face!?!)

img_3264-copy-jpg.1096656

...and one female silver laced orp.
silver-laced-female-jpg.1096654
Both side by side:
img_3270-copy-jpg.1096658
img_3273-copy-jpg.1096659

Here's the blue buff Colombian orp: Very friendly girl & one of the biggest

img_3279-copy-jpg.1096660

Blue laced orp female:
Not sure what she should look like. Perhaps she's a blue laced splash or a project bird.
img_3287-copy-jpg.1096662

Blue Laced orp male:
img_3288-copy-jpg.1096663

Gold Laced Orp female (with the blue laced male on right)
img_3284-copy-jpg.1096661

Here are the 2 blk/lav split orps. Both look female now.
img_3285-copy-jpg.1096682
img_3290-copy-jpg.1096683

All of the above birds were hatched from eggs from PapasPoultry.

I also have 3 female choc cuckoo orp females at the moment. We simply call them all "Baby Bricks" after their father. They look & act so much like their daddy, Brick, but slightly bigger since the moms were from my giant orps.
img_3281-copy-jpg.1096687

With great sadness I must tell you that our beloved Darth Layer (aka Darthy & DL) passed away today. She has always been a flock favorite and a sensitive, loyal, loving bird. She is now at peace and joins her sister Cuddles.

Who knew that this fun "science experiment" would give us a flock & change our lives?
Although we've had many chickens, Darth Layer, was something special.

She perfected her art of Photo-bombing. (Taught by Precious who is still our undefeated champ.)

Darthy was one of the original "treat monsters" and ALWAYS one of the 1st hens to come running when called. She loved to jump up into the air to catch a high flying treat. She also always had a look about her - like she had a secret. Although most people think of me as an owner of impressive Lav orps, it's the black iridescent shine of DL's feathers that was truly impressive. And of course the name: Darth Layer has its own share of great stories.

We have a white hen: Princess Lay-a, so when a black orp hatched, we joked about how it was the opposite, so we nicknamed it "Darth Layer." We always joked how she used "the force" to make us give her treats and sang the Imperial March (Darth Vader's tune) whenever we shared a funny story about her.
(Clucking: Bawk, Bawk, Bawk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk....)
BTW- Cookie also hatched with Darth Layer. We didn't intend to keep a bantam with LF, but she had a lot of spirit and stayed close to her sister & protector: Darth Layer. DL's sidekick, Cookie, later earned the nickname - "the Bantam Menace" and we no longer worried about little Cookie getting bullied.

Below: Cuddles, DL, & Cookie when they 1st saw snow & were not impressed. They didn't leave the run until it all melted.

Most importantly, Darthy was the heart of the flock. When chicks grew older & left by their mama, DL would look after them to make sure they were OK and ease their transition. When roos would be rehomed or hens sold to new homes (even if a bully) DL would notice & get depressed. She stopped laying for 6 months when her other sister & buddy, Cuddles, died. Darthy enjoyed snuggles and her favorite person was my DD.

DD is now crying & will be for several days. When school started DD plastered her locker with multiple chickens pics - many are of Darthy. Her teacher requested each child bring in a photo from the summer for a class project. She brought in a pic of herself with 2 silkies & DL in her lap. That is how I will remember DL= snuggled up in DD's arms while reading a book, watching TV, or relaxing under her tree.
dl-2-jpg.1124832

RIP my sweet Darth Layer.
:hit

In the spirit of @Faraday40's famous barbie pics, here are a couple of my new chicks:

Jubilee orpington chick and lincoln log roost:
21740521_10155937930734614_2054281007876223357_n.jpg

Jubilee orpington chick is the captain of the Lego ship.
21462599_10155937934919614_3235046868266366498_n.jpg

EE chick and Jubilee orpington chick play with legos:
21751309_10155937946749614_293162636012316421_n.jpg

With great sadness I must tell you that our beloved Darth Layer (aka Darthy & DL) passed away today. She has always been a flock favorite and a sensitive, loyal, loving bird. She is now at peace and joins her sister Cuddles.

Who knew that this fun "science experiment" would give us a flock & change our lives?
Although we've had many chickens, Darth Layer, was something special.

She perfected her art of Photo-bombing. (Taught by Precious who is still our undefeated champ.)

Darthy was one of the original "treat monsters" and ALWAYS one of the 1st hens to come running when called. She loved to jump up into the air to catch a high flying treat. She also always had a look about her - like she had a secret. Although most people think of me as an owner of impressive Lav orps, it's the black iridescent shine of DL's feathers that was truly impressive. And of course the name: Darth Layer has its own share of great stories.

We have a white hen: Princess Lay-a, so when a black orp hatched, we joked about how it was the opposite, so we nicknamed it "Darth Layer." We always joked how she used "the force" to make us give her treats and sang the Imperial March (Darth Vader's tune) whenever we shared a funny story about her.
(Clucking: Bawk, Bawk, Bawk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk, Ba Ba Baaa-wk....)
BTW- Cookie also hatched with Darth Layer. We didn't intend to keep a bantam with LF, but she had a lot of spirit and stayed close to her sister & protector: Darth Layer. DL's sidekick, Cookie, later earned the nickname - "the Bantam Menace" and we no longer worried about little Cookie getting bullied.

Below: Cuddles, DL, & Cookie when they 1st saw snow & were not impressed. They didn't leave the run until it all melted.

Most importantly, Darthy was the heart of the flock. When chicks grew older & left by their mama, DL would look after them to make sure they were OK and ease their transition. When roos would be rehomed or hens sold to new homes (even if a bully) DL would notice & get depressed. She stopped laying for 6 months when her other sister & buddy, Cuddles, died. Darthy enjoyed snuggles and her favorite person was my DD.

DD is now crying & will be for several days. When school started DD plastered her locker with multiple chickens pics - many are of Darthy. Her teacher requested each child bring in a photo from the summer for a class project. She brought in a pic of herself with 2 silkies & DL in her lap. That is how I will remember DL= snuggled up in DD's arms while reading a book, watching TV, or relaxing under her tree.
dl-2-jpg.1124832

RIP my sweet Darth Layer.
:hit

I see this is an old post now but sorry for your loss. :-(

@Honora
Great to see that you're enjoying playing with your live-action chicks. DS used them with his "Little PEEP-le" playsets. Chicks fit perfectly into those circular spaces for the the figures and made their own sound effects w/o the need for batteries. LOL (No never unsupervised play but it certainly gave us lots of adorable pics.)

If I ever have the time, I want to make my own calendar using our chicks & seasonal props. I can do Easter - summer, but the rest of the year would mean pulling out all the decorations from storage. For some reason, when I have lots of chicks, I'm always crazy-busy with spring planting, teaching, and caring for all those chicks. (Not to mention all the graduation & other spring parties as well as family events .....)

I still miss Darth layer. Our family's recently been watching some Star Wars movies & it seems so strange to watch them w/o her. She was a spoiled hen & really liked movie night. (Yes, she came into the family room & snuggled into DD's lap.) We held a couple other chickens, but they only stayed for about 30 min before standing. = That's how we know when to put them back. They start standing up when they want to poop.

Anyway, congrats on that Jubilee & EE. They look good!

Back
Top Bottom