Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Thanks Kathy - that's kind of what I'm seeing but all of the five dozen eggs I put in bator developed and are pipping right now and Nellie bought a dozen and has 10 about to pip so that's why I'm asking if others are seeing something like this in their Orp eggs. My Orp eggs are also very large. Most people that have ordered them comment on how extra large, jumbo, they are even when compared with Orp eggs they are already getting from their own Orps.

Maybe your jumbo eggs are porous because the "factory" has to use so much more calcium. Or it's genetic. If they were mine, I would try more calcium and some vitamins and see if that changes them. It's not like your chickens aren't healthy and well fed. But to lay jumbo eggs , I think, may take alot more- I guess domestication of chickens does have it's cons.

BTW, I'm answering you here because I saw your name and had to go reread your blog! It reads like a good book! I love it!

I've just taken two photos. One egg (egg #1) doesn't have the "porous" appearance as much as the other egg. Both eggs weigh 2.5 oz.

Egg #1

Egg #2

Maybe your jumbo eggs are porous because the "factory" has to use so much more calcium. Or it's genetic. If they were mine, I would try more calcium and some vitamins and see if that changes them. It's not like your chickens aren't healthy and well fed. But to lay jumbo eggs , I think, may take alot more- I guess domestication of chickens does have it's cons.

BTW, I'm answering you here because I saw your name and had to go reread your blog! It reads like a good book! I love it!

Thanks - which blog did you read? I could use a good book. LOL

Thanks for advice on the eggs. I do have oyster shell so I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them some. Our weather has been non-stop rain (monsoon style) for weeks and weeks so they could probably use some extra calcium. The shells are hard and I'm getting 100% hatch rate but I do want to be sure shipped eggs do well for my customers.

wee.gif
I caught her in the act today! My blue orp is definitely laying, beautiful large brown eggs. When I went out this afternoon to give the girls treats I opened the nest box to check for eggs, and there she was! I'm also fairly certain now that she's the one digging craters in the nest boxes.

You guys are calling them he or she when they're so young. How do you know the difference? I'm getting nervous because i just bought my first ever four lavenders one yellow cuckoo and a white orp Saturday and I'm afraid most of them are males and I can't keep males where I live and I love them so much already!!!

They were born Jan 30 so they're about 3weeks old

See how big the comb is on this little orp?He is two weeks old and he also crowed three days ago.It was a first for me as I had heard peaple say that before and had never heard it, it was so cute and no question that it was a crow.

Last edited:
See how big the comb is on this little orp?He is two weeks oldand he also browed three days ago.It was a first for me as I had heard peaple say that before and had never heard it,and it was so cute and no question that it was a crow.

That being said here is a cloe up of the other one,please tell me that this one is not a rooster????

Quote:

I wouldn't say roo yet. If you compare it to the other chick- girls tend to feather in faster. They are also sometimes a darker blue- in that blue roosters are light on the bottom with less defined lacing, and girls are more of an even color all over.

I never get those baby crowers! Not that I need any more roos, but I think it'd be cute.

I have a question for all of the Orp owners out there. When you candle the eggs do they appear almost lacy - as if you can see all the holes or pores? I got a complaint from a customer who received eggs a couple of weeks ago that they were "too porous". When I asked what they meant, they said you could see all the holes in the egg. But I have 5 dozen hatching/pipping in my bator right this moment and another few dozen that went in a week ago and more sitting on the counter to go in so I candled them and I think what they are referring to is how they do appear almost lacy and fragile and the light just beams through the pores. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else's eggs are the same way. Most of my other breeds of eggs are dark - either dark brown, speckled, or olive and are too hard to see through so I rarely candle. The Orp eggs are the only ones that the light shows up so well that you can practically see through the pores.

What kind of diet are they being fed?
sometimes its just the chicken and no matter what they are fed doesn't improve egg shell density.

however sometimes it can be improved upon with better feeds or supplements added to there diet..

game-bird layer in most cases will help with egg shell density and better incubation % esp with none free ranged birds that don't have the access to extra things they might require..

if you feed the standard layena (blue bags) it is basically just for eating egg production, not much extra for eggs for incubation purposes...

Game Bird Layena

ecmd2-0017656.jpg
A 20%-protein breeder diet formulated for fertility, egg production, and chick vigor. Feed from one month prior to start of egg production until birds is out of egg production.
  • Balanced levels of amino acids, energy vitamins and minerals keeps breeders in top condition for egg production and hatchability.
  • Calcium fortified for strong egg shells.
  • Complete feed - no mixing required.
Most of our birds get a mix of the gamebird and reg layena in addition to daily free ranging. it seems to work well with everything..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom