Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Don't forget Bill that just because a bird comes from the lav project doesn't mean they are all "splits", some don't get the gene and people don't understand that, regardless of who they bought their stock from.
big_smile.png

I know what a Lavender is. These 2 cockerels are not Lavenders. I am not saying they have the Lav gene. Were talking about WHERE the "TYPE" comes from. That to me is the question of why they do not look like a pure Orp

Neat pictures John. From this end the cuckoo looks like a regular (black) cuckoo. Did you breed her and/or do you have more? A cock perhaps?

That's what I thought (black) but it seems no one calls them black cuckoo.
smile.png
No I did not breed her, I picked her up at a show in Wash, a few months ago
and no I don't have a cock...I have some chicks hatching later this month and some the last of next month that may have this black
cuckoo eggs in those's two groups. I think it was Bill that said White x Black cuckoo would make White?

John
old.gif

That's what I thought (black) but it seems no one calls them black cuckoo.
smile.png
No I did not breed her, I picked her up at a show in Wash, a few months ago
and no I don't have a cock...I have some chicks hatching later this month and some the last of next month that may have this black
cuckoo eggs in those's two groups. I think it was Bill that said White x Black cuckoo would make White?

John
old.gif
John
Actually a White bred to a Black will make a Black bird with the White gene. IF you bred both a male and female to each other with that White gene then it is possible to get some Whites. In my case with the Buff Sports I have. The lady who bred them averaged about one Buff Sport outta every 20 or so chicks hatched. So you will mostly get Blacks. They may have White legs and lite eyes. But that is a good indication the White gene is in them. Good luck with your breeding season.

Bill

Last edited:
We just a small batch of orpy eggs and had two that came out really different. Are they cuckoo's or barred? Both are male. We cannot keep 2 roosters. Tell me what you think.

Quote:

nice cuckoo's, i don't see any yellow legs on these young birds.. color of skin is orpy for sure.. we just hatched some more out here again. we have a lavender roo in with are white hens which some carry the cuckoo gene.. will get some pics later as we got lots of chick hatching at the moment..

heres a pic of a young araucana with yellow skin (upper left corner) for those that are not sure what yellow skin looks like..

some freshly pulled chicks from the incubators:
buff
lemon cuckoo
white
black
cuckoo
lav araunaca

Last edited:
its weird on my other computer the face/ beak was bright yellow but on the one im on now it looks normal for an orp
nice cuckoo's, i don't see any yellow legs on these young birds.. color of skin is orpy for sure.. we just hatched some more out here again. we have a lavender roo in with are white hens which some carry the cuckoo gene.. will get some pics later as we got lots of chick hatching at the moment..

heres a pic of a young araucana with yellow skin (upper left corner) for those that are not sure what yellow skin looks like..

OSU I quess screen settings could mess with ones eyes for sure..i here lately been using iPhones which the tiny screen has made me make an appoint to visit the eye dr. I'm sure I'll be in the class with the ones wearing glasses now..

Back
Top Bottom