Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Pics
Got chicks in today.. :( A friend of mine had chicks shipped out on the same day and all of her's made it to Alaska safely, mine however were not so lucky. I lost several, due to their flight taking them from Texas, all the way to Honolulu, Hawaii :( A couple were missing from the box and two of the babies I got have defective legs (not spraddle leg). They literally have legs that are bent at the joints and are flat causing them to either be in a constant sitting position or falling flat on their faces. They can't walk :( I'm going to take them to my vet to be seen as he does see birds and see if he can do anything for the little dears :( It's sad too because I had such a beautiful variety of birds and will be calling Ideal in the morning. Sad I lost so many ;( I'll post pictures of who did make it, and honestly wonder if the drastic climate changes in their travel had something to do with it. We aren't terribly cold here. Today it was 45 when the chicks came in.

yes don't forget to call from what i have heard they will usually reimburse you for lost birds. what breeds were they so others can be aware of this possible issue ?

mine all came in healthy but i am also in TX where they are located so i have no idea i don't think the messed up legs would come from shipping =/

I just purchased 11 chicks from Ideal, and love them sooo much!! All of them are show quality (from what I can see at 5 days old
hide.gif
) no visible vulture hocks on the Cochin bantams. I bought 5 Cochin bantams, two Sultan bantams, and four D'uccles. I'm sooo happy with them!! I couldn't recomend them enough. Most of they're chicks aren't show quality but sometimes you get some good chicks.
Here are some pictures,
Mottled cochin Btm,

Self blue cochin Btm,

Mottled cochin Btm,

White frizzle cochin Btm,

Group photo,

Sultan Btm,

Sleeping Sultans,

I just purchased 11 chicks from Ideal, and love them sooo much!! All of them are show quality (from what I can see at 5 days old
hide.gif
) no visible vulture hocks on the Cochin bantams. I bought 5 Cochin bantams, two Sultan bantams, and four D'uccles. I'm sooo happy with them!! I couldn't recomend them enough. Most of they're chicks aren't show quality but sometimes you get some good chicks.
Here are some pictures,
Mottled cochin Btm,

Self blue cochin Btm,

Mottled cochin Btm,

White frizzle cochin Btm,

Group photo,

Sultan Btm,

Sleeping Sultans,

SULTANS AND SELF BLUE COCHINS !!! OMG YOU ARE TOO PERFECT !! POST sooooooooooooooooo MANY PICTURES AS THEY GROW !!!

ok update out of the 20 i ordered 19 are still alive after about 2 weeks i woke to find one bantam cochin dead reason unknown. i will be using ideal again however as overall all the birds are in great shape

I have to say I am not overly impressed with my Ideal chicks. When I got them they were cute and seemed ok other than the 3 I lost(2 Danish leghorns and the red cochin). Now 2 weeks later I have lost 2 more one I am thinking was my fault(but still doesn't make sense it was a big Ameraucana), but now I lost my one gold laced cochin last night totally not my fault. There are a few that still look like day olds-my gold laced cochin was one of them actually now that I think of it none of the cochins I got are very big(5 colors gold laced, silver laced, red DOA, barred and buff). My partridge chantecler is the tiniest looking thing, like a Bantam day old almost and the buff Chantecler is 3xs bigger. Some seem pretty good the speckled sussex are very big-I would consider them the largest chicks out of the entire batch. The buff and light Brahma are huge while I am not sure if the light Brahma has the right coloring but then again she is only 2 weeks old. The Dark Brahma I was worried about because at 1 week old she still looked like day old but she has finally started to grow a little not as big as the buff or light but still not so tiny anymore. The Danish Leghorns are small(compared to the others but I think dead on for breed) but the most active and I would say the most healthy, nothing fazes them, actually one of them has been hanging with the big boys(5 week old chicks, lots of roos). The others-one Faverolle, the last Ameraucana(gold laced) and the Dominique seem to be on par with their breed. I'd say overall these chicks don't seem near as hearty as they should be. I am not overly impressed with the chicks but in another 8 weeks or so we will see if I am impressed with their quality and confirmation.

From what I understand they are a hatchery, and I remember reading on their web site that they make no claim of SOP or show quality birds. I think if I were looking for birds of that "quality" I would find a breeder who had done well at shows. Of course I would expect to also pay much more then I did for my Ideal chicks as well.

From what I understand they are a hatchery, and I remember reading on their web site that they make no claim of SOP or show quality birds. I think if I were looking for birds of that "quality" I would find a breeder who had done well at shows. Of course I would expect to also pay much more then I did for my Ideal chicks as well.
this is true however some people actually have gotten show Q birds from hatcheries i know some people that have won several times with a hatchery bird and some were posted on here in pictures but you are correct it is very much a toss up you might or you might not and they do say that while they will be the breed you are asking for they may or may not be show quality animals.

I agree, I have seen some beautiful birds from ideal. When your only payig $2 a chick, from a source that does not claim to sell show birds.... Anyway. I love this thread, and all the adorable pictures!

Ladies Just because one hatch has show Quality bitds does not mean the same Coupleing will do the same

I breed Pixie bobs and have 2 really good litters out of 2 pairings the rest where petted out.

Getting show qiality on every chick would be like looking for santa and his Slay on christmas eve as a 43 yr old adult .

Its Impossible yo get show Quality every chick/hatch or even pairing.
Genetics is a great deal in this and You can and will get things that pop up after 25 yrs from 1 line in any animal.

Just not a reasonable thought sorry of my high horse just saying ........ Do not expect top quality even if you got it before. stuff happens even to the best

Back
Top Bottom