Post Pics Of Your Chicken With Worst Molt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well mine seem to moult at different times (I have 40 of several different breeds) but as I understand it, there is not just one moult in a year: they have several partial moults where they just lose feathers from one area, then one big moult. My first chickens I have had for two years now and I have only noticed them do a complete moult once, just recently, but they have had partial moults before and their moulting schedule may have been messed up by being kept in a battery and then released to me. The different breeds I have seem to moult at different times but they have all done it now and some as early as August/September, but others as late as January so I think that when they were hatched may have a bearing on it too.

This thread has had me in stitches--it's hilarious!
gig.gif

I haven't taken pictures of my molt victims (...yet!), but my buff orpington girls spent the entire fall sporting the always-trendy completely bald head look. To make the look complete, they also had fairly large patches missing around their vent. So hilarious and pitiful-looking.

This is Chicken Little, a one eyed cornish cross. He moulted his baby fluff & hasn't grown in feathers yet:
Wes022.jpg

Wes023.jpg

He's wearing a sock until he gets his act together on the feather growing
Wes030.jpg

Quote:
Thats what I thought he really looks like he wants to be the main guest at dinner maybe someone forgot to tell him that he was a pet and not food???

I love his sock outfit
lau.gif

Now see, I should have known that reading a thread like this would jinx me.
th.gif
One of my Sexlink hens has started to moult now and is all bony on her wings. Egg production has started to slow down some too. Grrr. I think the other standard ladies aren't going to be too far behind her in their moults.
hu.gif
tongue.png

I feel better now knowing there are others molting at this time of year. My 5 will be a year old this month. They did a little molting this Fall...just a few feathers noted in the coop and a slow down in the eggs then it all picked up. But this past week my hens are all losing feathers left and right. They are a mess and I am getting 0-1 egg a day.

No pictures yet, but looking at yours has made me feel better:p Only 5 or so of my 11 hens are molting, but when I saw the first one with her head missing the feathery part and only quill left on her head, seemingly overnight, I thought I had a bully problem. I've decided it's most likely a molting issue. Some necks are looking sparse, one has a quarter size bald spot on her back...but her skin under it is white and smooth. I'll try to get pic's in the next day or so to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom