Post Pics Of Your Chicken With Worst Molt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so relieved to find this thread, I think my chickens are just molting and not falling victim to some weird disease or insect.

Mine continued to lay eggs pretty well through this time. I have 17 10-month old pullets and the worst day they only layed seven, some days they layed 13 and 14 through this "molt". I thought they were supposed to do this in the fall? Mine were adolescents just starting to lay in the fall and we kept the coop heated for them because of our very rainy climate.

Also, they have different patterns that go somewhat by breed. My orpingtons, about half of them have naked bottoms. My orloffs look a mess and one has only one tail feather. My RIR look fluffy and you can see flesh through the feathers but no out-and-out bare areas.

Could this be truly molting and did we possibly bring it on feeding too much scratch? We realized everyone in the family was throwing out a little for awhile and it amounted to more than the food they were consuming. We cut out the scratch completely and they seem to be growing back their feathers.
Any theories on my theory?????? Total chicken newbie here, this is our first year.

A lot of folks report a 9 month "mini molt" much like you're describing. Don't get too excited, though -- they'll dash your egg hopes this winter with a real one just like everyone else's
wink.png

Quote:
Today I was watching my buff bantam brahma Maggie. She looks absolutely horrible in her molt. Like a pincushion with legs. I started to take a pic, but thought nah...not gonna risk a scolding by speckled.
wink.png

HORRIBLE HORRORS!!!!!
ep.gif
barnie.gif
I have never seen such uglyness. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
I have not seen a molt yet. God I would have culled it.
th.gif
Glad I looked at this thread.

I'm so happy to see some other poor molting girlies! This is the first time we've seen this. It is before the worst of the cold sets in, but we're supposed to have temps with heavy frost tonight, will they stay warm enough about 1/3 bald?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom