Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
I just picked up 4 pullets today from a farmer who had no idea what they are. He used to raise chickens for eggs and meat, and the local university brings him the chicks after they are done incubating/hatching them for a class. Usually they do meat birds, but this time he got something different.

When I posted in the "What breed/gender am I" forum I got 90% votes for leghorn and 10% votes for some kind of game.

Are leghorns usually VERY noisy? These 4 pullets make the most awful shrieking noises I've ever heard out of a chicken short of a coon attack. Is that normal? They are pretty flighty too, but I just got them today, so that doesn't surprise me. I was told they are about 16 weeks old, hatched in May.

b42e437f.jpg

598c81af.jpg

Sorry, not so great cell pics. It was pouring and thundering when I went out to put them up for bed, so I was not going to try and take more pictures.

Quote:
Here's a better shot, this one from yesterday. Someone else in my area who's worked with the local university before said they only hatch cornish X and leghorns, but I have no idea where the eggs came from. They are still smaller than the rest of my pullets, but based on the combs I think they may be younger than I originally thought.

IMG_1016.jpg

Quote:
Here's a better shot, this one from yesterday. Someone else in my area who's worked with the local university before said they only hatch cornish X and leghorns, but I have no idea where the eggs came from. They are still smaller than the rest of my pullets, but based on the combs I think they may be younger than I originally thought.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Noymira/Chickens/IMG_1016.jpg

Theyre deffinately leghorns, production leghorns. They do look young.

Quote:

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/Noymira/Chickens/IMG_1016.jpg

Theyre deffinately leghorns, production leghorns. They do look young.

I was a bit worried about the size difference with my other pullets and older birds at first, but what these girls lack in size they make up for in speed! Although my older hens chase all the pullets occasionally, these girls are faster than anyone else and always get away. Plus they roost 8 feet up in the rafters to our shed coop, and have taught our Rhode Island White, Barred Rock and (surprisingly) our two big New Hampshire pullets to do the same.

I really like the sleek look of the leghorns. I would say that based on the size and behavior of yours, they're leghorns. Mine are petite little things compared to my big partridge rock girls.

Last edited:
A few pics from the Mille Fleur Leghorn pen. I'm really hoping I have a few to work with. Out of 60 chicks I only have 11 that have yellow legs. Tail is good in a few, but these are still pretty young. 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 months. Thanks for looking

41441_mfl_a_916.jpg

41441_mfl_b_916.jpg

41441_mfl_c_916.jpg

Quote:
I really like how slim they look too, since a lot of my other birds are much heavier breeds like New Hampshire and Black Copper Marans.

I won't be using these leghorns for breeding in my DP flock, but I am excited about some big white eggs for my egg basket! I would be interested to see what happens with a Barred Rock over my Leghorns though, so I might hatch a few eggs just to see.

Back
Top Bottom