Post pics of your turkeys.

I have three turkeys currently, all hatched from parents I raised last year. Possible parents include a Midget White tom over two black hens, one chocolate hen, one White Holland, one bronze hen, one Bourbon Red hen, and (very unlikely) one lavender hen. The chocolate and black hens are probably hiding bronze genes due to very slight barring of their wings. It is highly unlikely given that these three hatched four or more months afterwards, but the Holland and Bourbon hens had been previously housed with a Bourbon tom.

Here's the kiddos:

Two jakes: Jake Jake (red slate? Would make him bronze plus a blue gene) and Thanksgiving (think he's just bronze)
20170606_182631.jpg

Penny. I have no idea what color she would be called.
20170606_182642.jpg
20170606_182607.jpg

Keep in mind, the pictures of Penny were taken in shade during a cloudy moment that day. The dark stripes are a chocolate color, the lighter brown areas are a cinnamon copper color. The lighter stripes on her tail are possibly a super light bluish color but aren't quite white. She looks kind of like a silver Auburn to me. She just started laying this week and the eggs are enormous by comparison to the vast majority of the LF chicken eggs I get even though she's super tiny (don't think she weighs ten pounds soaking wet).

All of these birds were hatched between Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2016.

Attachments

• 2016-10-22 17.55.59.jpg
    2016-10-22 17.55.59.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 23
I have three turkeys currently, all hatched from parents I raised last year. Possible parents include a Midget White tom over two black hens, one chocolate hen, one White Holland, one bronze hen, one Bourbon Red hen, and (very unlikely) one lavender hen. The chocolate and black hens are probably hiding bronze genes due to very slight barring of their wings. It is highly unlikely given that these three hatched four or more months afterwards, but the Holland and Bourbon hens had been previously housed with a Bourbon tom.

Here's the kiddos:

Keep in mind, the pictures of Penny were taken in shade during a cloudy moment that day. The dark stripes are a chocolate color, the lighter brown areas are a cinnamon copper color. The lighter stripes on her tail are possibly a super light bluish color but aren't quite white. She looks kind of like a silver Auburn to me. She just started laying this week and the eggs are enormous by comparison to the vast majority of the LF chicken eggs I get even though she's super tiny (don't think she weighs ten pounds soaking wet).

All of these birds were hatched between Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2016.
You should check the eye color of your Midget White tom. If his eyes are brown, he is bronze based and could be bb or bb1 or b1b1. If the eyes are blue he is black based, most likely (BB). In my experience, one must get very close to be able to actually see what the eye color is. To me, all turkey eyes look black from a distance.

If the one you think is a Red Slate is actually a Rusty Slate (Bb Dd Rr), the father would be the Bourbon Red tom and the mother would be the Lavender.

If your black hens have slight barring on their wing feathers, they are Barred Blacks and are either Bb or Bb1. For your mystery hen to be a Silver Auburn, the mother would have had to be your Chocolate hen and whichever tom the father was would have had to be carrying a hidden recessive Narragansett (Nn) color gene. It is possible for White turkeys to be carrying all kinds of hidden recessive or even dominant color genes since the recessive white (cc) masks all the other color genes. The more I think about it, the Chocolate hen could not have passed her recessive brown (e-) on to a female offspring so my theory that she is the mother is probably wrong.

Good luck figuring it out.

You should check the eye color of your Midget White tom. If his eyes are brown, he is bronze based and could be bb or bb1 or b1b1. If the eyes are blue he is black based, most likely (BB). In my experience, one must get very close to be able to actually see what the eye color is. To me, all turkey eyes look black from a distance.

If the one you think is a Red Slate is actually a Rusty Slate (Bb Dd Rr), the father would be the Bourbon Red tom and the mother would be the Lavender.

If your black hens have slight barring on their wing feathers, they are Barred Blacks and are either Bb or Bb1. For your mystery hen to be a Silver Auburn, the mother would have had to be your Chocolate hen and whichever tom the father was would have had to be carrying a hidden recessive Narragansett (Nn) color gene. It is possible for White turkeys to be carrying all kinds of hidden recessive or even dominant color genes since the recessive white (cc) masks all the other color genes. The more I think about it, the Chocolate hen could not have passed her recessive brown (e-) on to a female offspring so my theory that she is the mother is probably wrong.

Good luck figuring it out.

Major Tom, the MW has brown eyes (all of the turkeys do, though some I've had in the past had eyes which were bluish around the edges or turned more brown as they aged).

The lavender hen had blue eyes, if I remember correctly (she had the visual defect sadly common in lavender hens as well). She died quite young, was very frail and tiny, couldn't see well, and might have never lived to lay eggs, which is why I said she's not likely to have been the mother of any poults. While she was the same age as the other girls (except the Holland, who was 2 and the Bourbon who was 3) who had all hatched that spring and had just recently started to lay when I'd set the eggs.

The lavender and chocolate hens were/are very small and slight. The chocolate has a lot of attitude, like Penny, and the same build, but Penny's face reminds me more of the Bourbon and the lavender hens ( they had a squintier expression and smaller eyes).

Jake doesn't appear to be a rusty slate--the red color in his tail feathers seems too dull and pale by comparison to Porter's pictures.

It's not uncommon for industrial white birds to be hiding more dilution factors to minimize the black speckled some get through the white genes, so it's possible (even likely) for the MW tom to be carrying slate genes, maybe even chocolate, though that's less likely. I don't know how Penny could have sex linked chocolate genes otherwise though. She certainly looks to have chocolate in her.

I'm wondering if Major is heterozygous for pretty much everything at this point. The only poult of his that has hatched since was pure white, which doesn't tell us anything else about his genes (but does at least confirm the mother).

This is the result of my Royal Palm tom/BBB hen cross. Got 4 different colors that sex linked. The girls are white and black with or without a brown tricolor. The toms are standard bronze or a dark grey/black, they're pretty boring. The hens are absolutely gorgeous. I love the laced pattern.
View attachment 1082781 View attachment 1082782 View attachment 1082784
You know what’s funny- I was scrolling through and I didn’t see your name- just the photos and thought to myself- I know those birds! I was right! So distinctive! So beautiful! My future go-to breeder!

Back
Top Bottom