Post pics of your turkeys.

Pics
That's what I was told when I got him from my grandpas hatchery. It's pretty much the same thing, correct?
There are lots of people passing off turkeys as being a different variety than they actually are. Sometimes it is because they don't know any better and sometimes it is done deliberately. Both varieties are heritage turkeys but it is wrong to go around claiming a turkey is a variety that it is not. I am not sure that your tom is a Barred Black but I am sure that it is not a Spanish Black.

Black turkey

Barred Black

There are lots of people passing off turkeys as being a different variety than they actually are. Sometimes it is because they don't know any better and sometimes it is done deliberately. Both varieties are heritage turkeys but it is wrong to go around claiming a turkey is a variety that it is not. I am not sure that your tom is a Barred Black but I am sure that it is not a Spanish Black.

Black turkey

Barred Black
Those pics look the same? Are you saying I'm going around claiming that because how would I know? So he is a heritage but he's black with some coloring so a different variety?

Those pics look the same? Are you saying I'm going around claiming that because how would I know? So he is a heritage but he's black with some coloring so a different variety?
Look closely at the wing feathers, the black turkey has pure black wing feathers. The barred black has bars of white and black on the wing feathers.

I assumed that you would not have known any different about your tom because that is what someone else told you he is.

Look closely at the wing feathers, the black turkey has pure black wing feathers. The barred black has bars of white and black on the wing feathers.

I assumed that you would not have known any different about your tom because that is what someone else told you he is.
Yeah I see now, I get what you're saying. My tom has bars of white on his wing feathers. So he's black, but a different variety of black, kind of like the lavendar(self blue) slates and the blue slates!:) My tom is very handsome and such a sweet pet. I love him and his lady Peep

Yeah I see now, I get what you're saying. My tom has bars of white on his wing feathers. So he's black, but a different variety of black, kind of like the lavender(self blue) slates and the blue slates!:) My tom is very handsome and such a sweet pet. I love him and his lady Peep
He is a good looking tom whatever he is and not being a Spanish Black is not going to change how you feel about him or how he feels about you. Enjoy your turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom