Post pictures of your capons

This would solve the problem of unwanted roosters from a hatch. Is it a DIY procedure or is a vet needed?
Most vets don't have a clue about caponizing, and if they did, the price would be prohibitive. It is a DIY procedure. In years past, before the advent of the Cornish X, a lot of poultrymen caponized their excess males because capons brought a higher price at market than cockerels. The old poultry books tell how to caponize. Sometimes you can find someone to teach you. From what I have read it is best for the beginner to practice on dead birds.

Most vets don't have a clue about caponizing, and if they did, the price would be prohibitive. It is a DIY procedure. In years past, before the advent of the Cornish X, a lot of poultrymen caponized their excess males because capons brought a higher price at market than cockerels. The old poultry books tell how to caponize. Sometimes you can find someone to teach you. From what I have read it is best for the beginner to practice on dead birds.
Thanks. I'll look into it. It seems like a no brainer really, but if your squeamish or unsure probably wouldn't be recommended!

Pretty much does stop them from crowing. I’ve had a couple capons that let out a half crow, but those turned out to be slips or were trying to mimic the roosters in the distance. Roosters will crow the entire day, whereas the capons I’ve had, it seems like only the dominant one would let out 2-3 half crows in the morning and then that’s it, with all the rest being silent. Their crows would be about 1/4-1/3 the decibel level of a regular rooster.

I haven’t raised a jersey giant capon yet but would love to. The only thing is that it seems to take a long time to grow. I’ve heard 1-2 years to fully gain weight and that’s just way too long. I’m looking for something more reasonable in 6-9 months, and during that time, I’ve read that jersey giants are still building their bone structure. I would love raise a Malay capon as well since they have massive breast meat, but i do question if they will still be pretty aggressive or not. A buddy of mine swears that Malay and Thai chickens have the best tasting meat, but they are harder to come by.
Aggression is purely fueled by testosterone. A castrated rooster will not attack you. Maybe I should try this with a Buckeye. (For the meat, they already are very gentlemanly.)

Last edited:
Explanations by an experienced person are best. However, if you go on eBay you can find some old poultry books and bulletins that explain caponizing. I have two copies of the book Practical Poultry Production, one printed in 1956 and the other in 1933. Both of these books tell how to caponize. The older book tells how to mix your own chicken feed. I also found a USDA bulletin on capons and caponizing.
Yes... but I’d like to hear his explanation much different than reading the information. I’ve read the information. It’s not the same to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom