Post pictures of your droppings pit and clean out hatch/door!

Me too, I'm building now....well, tomorrow
big_smile.png

Here is my droppings pit in my original coop. It's since been dismantled, but it worked very well while we had it that way. We started with hardware cloth on the lid, but changed it to that plastic garden fencing because the poop didn't fall through and the wire was hard on their feet. The last pic shows the clean out door-just park a wheelbarrow up to that and rake it out. The ladders removed for opening the lid, if needed-one lifted up on hinges and one just could be lifted off and put aside.
DCP_2794.jpg

DCP_2946.jpg

RearOpen.jpg

DCP_2984.jpg

DCP_4424.jpg

DCP_4004.jpg

Cyn..that is way to nice!! Must have been horrible to watch it get dirty the first time! Like right after you change the cat litter box and the cat say "wow, now would be a good time to SH....."

I originally had hardware cloth on top with 1/2" holes; not a good idea because it wouldn't allow the poop to drop through. Then we changed it to that green plastic garden fencing with 1" holes and it worked beautifully! Got it at Home Depot.

The chicken in my avatar is my Blue Orpington rooster, Suede. He's a big boy, isn't he?

Last edited:
We are in the process of building our coop, well not today 'cause its raining. I built a 3'x7' x 1' high box that will be topped with 1/2" wire mesh under the roosts. The box itself will be lined with lineoleum covered plywood. Along the 7' edge is a hatch about 16" high that will open for clean out. All I have is a picture of the framing, so you'll have to use your imagination. When its finished I'll post pics and as time passes how well the design is (or isn't) working.
Here's the pic. The roosts & dropping pits will be off to the right; you'll have to visualize the idea with actual sides
IMGP3779.jpg

And here's the opening where the clean out hatch door will be located
IMGP3777.jpg

Back
Top Bottom