*Post pictures of your duck pen/coop!!* :)

Quote:
We only spent like $20 on the whole project because we used all scraps left over in our barn or we would've done a lot more things different. And the tin roof does hang off the edge about 2 inches to keep all water out. I think it's perfect just the way it is! And it is pretty darn heavy, gotta get the trailer and atv out to move it around.

I wish I would have spent only $20.

Wow! $20?? That's awesome. We are trying to see what we have around here to use...thinking about trying to convert the pony stable into a coop to keep our Muscovies in at night. How big do you think it should be for 8 of them? Do I need to think about separating them at some point? I don't know how many drakes/ducks I will have, but they are all brothers/sisters. 2 more weeks!!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I don't think they make those red/white waterers deep enough. More water is spilled/splash out than they actually drink. Plus they can't submerge there entire beak. I find it much better to use a container with a lid & cut a hole in the top of the lid. Works great to have one for food & one for water. ~These are nice duck houses.~ Darkwolf, doesn't your ducks fly out of there pen? ~Julie~

I don't have photos of the bigger pen and coop, but I got these lil photos which were used as a small shelter and for Charlotte's nest. I'll try get the others later
smile.png

45978_imag0832.jpg

45978_imag0844.jpg

45978_p5280065.jpg

Quote:
Yes I did, with a lil bit of family help!
smile.png

Its just wood from the local timber hardware store
The frame work is simple steal welded together to make a house shape and then we bought wood planks, cut them to desirable lengths and used a drill and tek gun to get em on. Overlapped the ones on the roof a bit to make sure no rain would sneak through and its very weather resistent
smile.png

It being winter here, its nice and cozy
smile.png

Last edited:
Any more pics? ideas?

not this weekend, but NEXT weekend I have to start my Duck House... They are waddling back and forth to the barn in the morning and at night right now.

I have a privacy fenced backyard (soon to be reinforced) that is 32 x 64 feet. and a grape arbor in one corner that is about 10-12 foot square. I am planning to make the area under the arbor into a chicken house and area they can be locked up if needed.

How big with the actual "living" quarters inside the house need to be?
Would an 8x8x8ft almost triangular area work?
Do they HAVE to be locked inside at night or can they just stay in the reinforced pen?
Can I use the welded wire dog fencing or should it be smaller?
Would it be better to dig a trench and bury wire or just cover the entire floor of the pen to keep it from getting as muddy?
I am planning to put hedge roses all along the outside of the pen to deter any predators as well.

Thank you in advance... I was good with the chickens, but feel these ducks need their own "space" and don't know exactly where to start.... only ideas.

Back
Top Bottom