Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It's a good coop.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Not really.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's horrible!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How tall are those catlle panels, 3 feet? Trying to make a plan to get the guineas off into the woods.
Cattle panels are 50"...other panels are different.
There are a half dozen different configurations of livestock panels in regards to overall size, rod spacing, and price....can be confusing, so shop and plan carefully.

rjohns, the tarps and snow hides the ugly of mine LOL if it works thats what counts

Twins, with all the plastic and tarps it was very nice in the hoops.. no frostbite due to good ventilation. the year before they were in the old wooden dog house and it didn't have enough ventilation and the roo got frostbite when it was damp and just below freezing. He was fine at -20f but a month later a heavy wet snow storm came through
The small 8x8' coop had an opening on the N door under the tarp. So it had air flow from that way but not a draft... the S side had plastic on the door and by the roost but open above their heads.. 2 plastic dog house were huddle houses. I had a CX hen that didn't roost that used them. The others were fall hatch and they used the roost.

The large coop, 8 x 24 had on opening above the n door that had a feed bag that would hang down or could be tucked under the tarp. The plastic was tucked under the tarp on the outside , so it could be pulled out for more ventilation if needed ... The s was completely open. The turkeys were on the s half of the coop and they don't mind a breeze. any breeze was only 2 ' in anyway... I had a old prefab coop and a old wood dog house for huddle boxes. a couple of molting hens used them when it was 10f and when it was -17f some of the others went in. The turkeys like to sit on top of the wooded dog house.

Both coops had clear tarps that reached the bottom on the west side and were 8" above bottom on the east. I used plastic sheeting to block part of it off and old window or straw bales that were movable to block off or control ventilation.
So if you use a 16 foot cattle panel, You bend it so it has an eight foot width at the ground?

Cattle panels are 50"...other panels are different.
There are a half dozen different configurations of livestock panels in regards to overall size, rod spacing, and price....can be confusing, so shop and plan carefully.
I got the tractor supply catalogue and they supposedly have horse panels with 2"x4"mesh that is 5 feet by 16 feet. Sounds good, will have to find out prices.

I got the tractor supply catalogue and they supposedly have horse panels with 2"x4"mesh that is 5 feet by 16 feet. Sounds good, will have to find out prices.
Is there a page that shows the other configs?
You can see them on the website too,
but they are a bear to shop tho...descriptions must be looked at carefully.

I am thinking something like this:
Hoop Coop-3.jpg

By the way this is not Google Sketch-up and so it isn't very good, but you get the basic idea.
The clear part of the roof is polycarbonate roofing, and in the front where there appears to be nothing there would be cattle panels and hardware cloth. There would also be a cattle panel and hardware cloth vent in the back, and the door would be different. However, this editor is very limited and so I couldn't add that part. Inside would have large roosts and 5 nest boxes. It would be up on a wooden base. What do you think? Any tips, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

I am thinking something like this:
View attachment 1157608

By the way this is not Google Sketch-up and so it isn't very good, but you get the basic idea.
The clear part of the roof is polycarbonate roofing, and in the front where there appears to be nothing there would be cattle panels and hardware cloth. There would also be a cattle panel and hardware cloth vent in the back, and the door would be different. However, this editor is very limited and so I couldn't add that part. Inside would have large roosts and 5 nest boxes. It would be up on a wooden base. What do you think? Any tips, comments, or suggestions are welcome.
I like it! I think i will use solid tin roofing for the most part to avoid excess heat build up in summer. Are you using pallet lumber for the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom