Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It's a good coop.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Not really.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's horrible!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like it! I think i will use solid tin roofing for the most part to avoid excess heat build up in summer. Are you using pallet lumber for the bottom?
Yes, I was thinking about lowering the cost by mostly using pallet lumber.
I would be using clear roofing on just that part to let in light but tin roofing for the rest of it. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking about lowering the cost by mostly using pallet lumber.
That stuff is so hard to get off it takes me forever. I am considering using rough cut wood and plywood. Or i could just put plywood over pallets. Did you know they now sell pallet boards at Lowes for like $4 each? New ones, not used. Or even tposts and welded wire maybe with a hardware cloth skirt. Then cattle panels on top. Plastic over the welded wire maybe. I need fast construction here, been building a chicken coop forever!
Have you actually tried bending a cattle panel to see if it fits this way?

That stuff is so hard to get off it takes me forever. I am considering using rough cut wood and plywood. Or i could just put plywood over pallets. Did you know they now sell pallet boards at Lowes for like $4 each? New ones, not used. Or even tposts and welded wire maybe with a hardware cloth skirt. Then cattle panels on top. Plastic over the welded wire maybe. I need fast construction here, been building a chicken coop forever!
Have you actually tried bending a cattle panel to see if it fits this way?
That's good to know!
No, but I've seen several pictures of hoops similar to this, and it'd be really easy to adjust the cattle panels, so I'm sure that it will work.
Not sure how I'm going to secure the roofing though. I am thinking that I'll run supports lenthwise and screw the roofing to that. Is that how it's usually done?

Last edited:
That's good to know!
No, but I've seen several pictures of hoops similar to this, and it'd be really easy to adjust the cattle panels, so I'm sure that it will work.
Not sure how I'm going to secure the roofing though. I am thinking that I'll run supports lenthwise and screw the roofing to that. Is that how it's usually done?
That's good to know!
I have never built a hoop coop, hence all the questions. I was thinking of drilling small holes in the tin and running metal cable through to lace the panels to the hardware cloth. If you use wood then you need to attach the wood to the panels somehow. And its an added expense. I am considering making part of it closed in for the coop part and the rest to be more like a run. But the guineas would be less confused if they could not see through the bottom one foot. Maybe use one foot plywood strips lashed to the welded wire or attached with heavy staples. Gosh, its hard to dumb down enough to think like a guinea!

I am thinking something like this:
View attachment 1157608

By the way this is not Google Sketch-up and so it isn't very good, but you get the basic idea.
The clear part of the roof is polycarbonate roofing, and in the front where there appears to be nothing there would be cattle panels and hardware cloth. There would also be a cattle panel and hardware cloth vent in the back, and the door would be different. However, this editor is very limited and so I couldn't add that part. Inside would have large roosts and 5 nest boxes. It would be up on a wooden base. What do you think? Any tips, comments, or suggestions are welcome.
That's pretty good model, is it drawn true size and shape?
8' long livestock panels for roof structure?
Deep(1") corrugated metal/plastic roofing(won't bend that way)...
.....or more like greenhouse poly panels(like cardboard box corrugated?

That's pretty good model, is it drawn true size and shape?
8' long livestock panels for roof structure?
Deep(1") corrugated metal/plastic roofing(won't bend that way)...
.....or more like greenhouse poly panels(like cardboard box corrugated?
Yes, it's drawn to true size.
I'd be using two 50"x16' cattle panels bent over the normal way to support the roofing, then cutting off the extra and securing it to the "walls." I'd then use the extra to cover the front and back. The door would have a better frame than you see, the editor was terrible.
Yes I know, the editor again. It wouldn't let me show the roofing correctly.

@CapricornFarm I've never built a hoop coop either, I've got just as many questions as you! :)

Yes, it's drawn to true size.
I'd be using two 50"x16' cattle panels bent over the normal way to support the roofing, then cutting off the extra and securing it to the "walls." I'd then use the extra to cover the front and back. The door would have a better frame than you see, the editor was terrible.
Yes I know, the editor again. It wouldn't let me show the roofing correctly.

@CapricornFarm I've never built a hoop coop either, I've got just as many questions as you! :)
I bought 4 cattle panels and a roll of welded wire today. Still need to figure out how much lumber to order. And how many roof panels to get, plus what kind and size of tarps/plastic to get. Husband ordered plastic coated cable i will use to lash cattle panels together. Already have t posts, got a few pallets today. And i will need some sort of door. I am going to attach the panels on top of fencing with t posts so my roof will be an extra 4 feet high for the guineas. Might just use the pallets on the ends.

My Hoop Coop, Completed last month. Love it
Chicken coop 15.JPG
Chicken coop 12.JPG

Back
Top Bottom