Post pictures of your run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Heluhelu, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Heluhelu

Heluhelu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    I am pretty much done with my new coop, but can not move my chickens in until I have a run in place. I just canʻt quite decide how I want to build my run. I would appreciate if you post pictures of your runs so I can get some good ideas.

2. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    The ground behind the garage was sloping.
    So I wheel barrowed about 30 loads of sand to make a level run from the sand pit behind my house.

The upright wood is 2x4 spruce that I treated with linseed oil a month before doing the construction
    The wood on the ground is pressure treated 2x4’s.
    The dark green bars are Steel T-Bars hammered into the ground. They are just for extra stability and strength in case of severe winds or black bears. They are tied to the run walls with 16G steel fencing wire.
    The walls are 2x2 welded wire.
    Buried underneath the sod, on the slope outside of the run, is 1/4 inch welded wire to prevent digging predators from entry. I secured that by hammering many 6 inch sod staples. Many bags of potting soil went over the sand and the 1/4 inch welded wire. Then the sod went over that, secured with just a few sod staples.
    With just a bit of watering and fertilizer, the sod grew well and the whole area was secure and hands free in about 3 weeks.

The run and coop holds 10 Buff Orps.
    [​IMG]

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    See my BYC page. I may have overdone it, but I'm confident it is predator proof:fl

4. Rosalinda-84

Rosalinda-84 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    I am in the same situation, only my DH is recuperating from a pinched nerve and my hens are in the coop. I have to let them out daily, so now I don't have a vegetable garden. Johny, you don't mind a wet run and how do you clean it since you can't walk into it?

5. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    My run is about 5' x 24'. The hardware cloth is burried 18" and its roofed with recycled tin. Still needing to add roosts or things to jump and play on. The hay bales and pvc panels are still in the garage to give shelter for winter, although we just got our first 6" of snow!
    Good luck!

[​IMG][/img]

6. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    That is a sharp looking coop/run...I'm jealous

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    check out my page [​IMG]
    mine isn't really predator proof but I have a automatic door so that the chickens are protected.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Whatever you do, use 1/2-inch hardware cloth and fender washer with screws to attach it.
    See My BYC Page for more descriptions.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine, it's 24' X24', with the coop, 8'X8' in one(NW) corner. I used 4X4 for the posts, 2X4 in the middle and top, and landscape timbers around the bottom. Chicken wire on all sides and the top, hardware cloth 2' up the sides and 2' out for an apron. Ther are some perches made with landscape timber scraps.
    We haven't had any predator attacks yet, hoping the wire will slow them down if (when) they come. The girls are locked in every nite.
    I'm embarassed ay the total cost, the first egg was LOTS more than $700!
    mrkep

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    This is our run. We have welded wire all around, including on top of the entire run and hardware cloth all around the bottom and it is underground about a foot.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by