Post- Sour Crop questions

mb929

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2022
Hi all! i’m so happy to report that it looks like my hen is healing up from a pretty bad case of sour crop… We have had her in her own little chicken hospital for about a week now and thankfully lately she seems like she is ready to get back to the coop… Squawking and bouncing around! it’s so hot outside so I’ve been trying to keep her cool to help that bacterial infection dissolve along with administering Monistat. When do you think I can put her back in the coop with her chicken friends? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 672E396F-207A-4A83-9E1C-34F9A1233048.jpeg
    672E396F-207A-4A83-9E1C-34F9A1233048.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 59
Chickens do terribly going from extreme cool to extreme hot conditions. They do only slightly better going from very warm to very cold. In other words, abrupt climate change is very hard for chicken bodies to deal with, so acclimatizing is necessary.

Gradually raising the temp of her surroundings to let her adjust to warmer temps over a few days is the best way to return her to the flock. She will be better off with the flock so getting her back as soon as you can is a good idea.

In future cases of crop disorders, removing a chicken from the flock is not necessary in order to treat. I've never removed a crop patient.

Chickens do terribly going from extreme cool to extreme hot conditions. They do only slightly better going from very warm to very cold. In other words, abrupt climate change is very hard for chicken bodies to deal with, so acclimatizing is necessary.

Gradually raising the temp of her surroundings to let her adjust to warmer temps over a few days is the best way to return her to the flock. She will be better off with the flock so getting her back as soon as you can is a good idea.

In future cases of crop disorders, removing a chicken from the flock is not necessary in order to treat. I've never removed a crop patient.
Thank you for your input but I’ve had several suggestions to isolate her to make sure we are monitoring what she eats while her crop goes down. I will take note of gradually increasing her to a warmer temperature. She has been in our garage so it hasn’t been that much colder than the outside but it has been a bit cooler than the outside elements. it would not be too much of a drastic change. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom