Post Vent Prolapse

Chullicken

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Dorchester, NH
Good afternoon,

I have a six your old JBG that just suffered a vent prolapse. After doing the procedure twice (Bath, Warm Soak, Preparation H, Pushed back in). I gave her a break overnight, and she absorbed it back into her system only to have it partially prolapse the following day, and again overnight, she managed to pull it back in where it stayed. Her butt is caked with feces and a very subtle smell. It seems to be kept in going on for four days now. I've had chickens for approx. 8 years and this is my first experience with vent prolapse.
My issue is I believe she may have some form of infection from that issue as she is very lethargic for most of the day, gets about an hour of 'normal' behavior then goes back to being lethargic again. She's having usual poops, but I did notice some clear yellowish (I believe) in her sleeping area which I clean out daily. Once she rids herself of this it seems her energy level picks back up. The local vet doesn't treat fowl of any kind only euthanizations. So I went to get some Terramycin powder, but of course, they're out and our mail delivery is very unpredictable at this time. I purchased the solid pill form. (Terramycin Tablets 250mg).
My question is, am I doing the correct thing here? And if so, how do I measure out a 250mg tablet to her body weight which is approx. 2-3lbs I assume. Also, what would be the best delivery method if possible? Thank you in advance~
image.jpg

-'Bunting', 6 Years Old, Black Jersey Giant
-3 x 6 x 4 Enclosure Alone
-Poulin Layer Pellets
-Water w/electrolytes
-Food has a low dose Calcium Drench
-Currently on a lowered caloric intake for Weight Loss
-Fresh Grass, Garlic, Oregano, Dandelion Greens
-One Grape a day for a treat
-Drinking and Eating lightly (Not her usual esteem for it)

I've not used terramycin before, have you tried a search for it on the forums?

I have dealt with vent prolapse before, and it is not uncommon to have it continuously popping out for a few days. Just keep pushing it back in, you are doing the right thing. We had one that did this for two weeks before it finally stayed in. It's not a fun process, but it is helping her.

If you haven't already, you might try withholding food for two days so that she isn't constantly passing poop through the vent. This will give her a few poop-free days and allow the vent tissue time to heal and reattach a little. It will speed up the healing process.

Do you have her separated from the flock? Sometimes the rest of the flock can make a prolapse worse by pecking at it. Keeping her isolated from the others will help.

Back
Top Bottom