Post your barnyard mixes!

Pullets get one sex link gene, which they inherit from their dad. Cockerels get two sex link genes, and they get one from each parent.
The gold rooster over silver hen cross works because gold is recessive and silver is dominant. The pullets inherit gold from dad and nothing from mom, so pullets are gold. The cockerels get silver from mom and gold from dad, but are silver because silver is dominant over gold.
It can't work in reverse because the pullets would get silver from dad, and the cockerels would get silver from dad and gold from mom, making them silver too.
Can silver still manifest in the offspring if the dad is recessive white over a gold hen?

@FuzzyCritters - Your Buff Orpington x Splash Andalusian hen is very pretty!

I'm surprised silver roos over gold hens give silver pullets and cockerels; everything I've read about feather color inheritance so far says girls get dad's color while boys get mom's color... I'll have to change my notes about Amberlinks.

@MissiMullis - Crested Cream Legbar rooster over Black Copper Marans/Cuckoo hen, or Copper/Cuckoo Marans rooster over Crested Cream Legbar hen?
I can’t be sure. I got her at a feed store or tractor supply. She was SUPPOSED to be a New Hampshire Red. Didn’t take long to figure out she wasn’t!

I can’t be sure. I got her at a feed store or tractor supply. She was SUPPOSED to be a New Hampshire Red. Didn’t take long to figure out she wasn’t!
Looking at your bird, it might be a Crested Cream Legbar over a Cucco Marans hen. I don't know about Cucco Marans combs, but I know USA Legbars all have two spikes thinner than the others in their combs, and your hen showed that trait in her comb. I also think Cucco Marans for a mom because your hen doesn't look any different than a CCL hen color-wise, while there are chances the copper neck feathers of a Black Copper Marans hen might have transmitted to her daughters. I could be wrong though, I'm still learning to tell parentage at a glance.

Looking at your bird, it might be a Crested Cream Legbar over a Cucco Marans hen. I don't know about Cucco Marans combs, but I know USA Legbars all have two spikes thinner than the others in their combs, and your hen showed that trait in her comb. I also think Cucco Marans for a mom because your hen doesn't look any different than a CCL hen color-wise, while there are chances the copper neck feathers of a Black Copper Marans hen might have transmitted to her daughters. I could be wrong though, I'm still learning to tell parentage at a glance.
How about this? Here’s what I believe to be one of her chicks! A cockerel I’m sure

Attachments

• 3898C657-74AE-4EBC-80AE-62CECDC43382.jpeg
    3898C657-74AE-4EBC-80AE-62CECDC43382.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 4
  • 0FF5D1B7-174A-4D17-9299-3F7F6DFCD0C1.jpeg
    0FF5D1B7-174A-4D17-9299-3F7F6DFCD0C1.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 1
  • 92227128-F354-4A49-8B23-B7ECDE0EE990.jpeg
    92227128-F354-4A49-8B23-B7ECDE0EE990.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 4
How about this? Here’s what I believe to be one of her chicks! A cockerel I’m sure
The thick barring of your chick is quite pretty :) and it seems to have a crest? A crested cucco chick?

Did you mate your hen to a barred rooster or a non-barred one? If the father is barred then your chick should be double barred, and light in plumage if it's a male. If the father is non-barred, the chick will only have one barred gene and look dark (like barred pullets), so it'll be difficult to tell if it's a boy or a girl until he grows up a bit more.

I had a brood of Plymouth chicks once, given to me by a breeder whose rooster was in a pen with red sex-links, black sex-links and plymouth hens. I got 5 chicks from him, four of them barred and one a clear mix. Out of the barred ones, I spotted one light-barred cockerel chick at birth, while the rest looked like pullets. As it turned out, two of the darker barred chicks also wound up being males, and the only way I realized it was because they grew their combs alot quicker than the sole female chick of the group. Those two (probably crossbreds) only had one barring gene instead of two, so they looked like girls for a long time!

The thick barring of your chick is quite pretty :) and it seems to have a crest? A crested cucco chick?

Did you mate your hen to a barred rooster or a non-barred one? If the father is barred then your chick should be double barred, and light in plumage if it's a male. If the father is non-barred, the chick will only have one barred gene and look dark (like barred pullets), so it'll be difficult to tell if it's a boy or a girl until he grows up a bit more.

I had a brood of Plymouth chicks once, given to me by a breeder whose rooster was in a pen with red sex-links, black sex-links and plymouth hens. I got 5 chicks from him, four of them barred and one a clear mix. Out of the barred ones, I spotted one light-barred cockerel chick at birth, while the rest looked like pullets. As it turned out, two of the darker barred chicks also wound up being males, and the only way I realized it was because they grew their combs alot quicker than the sole female chick of the group. Those two (probably crossbreds) only had one barring gene instead of two, so they looked like girls for a long time!
Here’s the father. He’s just a hatchery barred rock. I don’t know that I’ve seen a crested barred rooster lol. It’ll be interesting to watch these mixes grow out!

Attachments

• 81025817-0F38-4334-A33F-6756C41F0459.jpeg
    81025817-0F38-4334-A33F-6756C41F0459.jpeg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom