Show me pictures of your mixed breeds

My Bielefelder x Dominique cockerels didn't like the snow this morning. Both of them were flying 6 feet up, 15 foot flights trying to keep their feet out of the snow. I bet they could fly quite well, given the opportunity. First time I see a 10 pound bird on my roof, I'm going to laugh my head off.View attachment 3691876
Wait until you get a couple of visiting peacocks on your roof! It sounds like a dog!

I have a similar project going on, though I would describe my breeding program as "throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks". Right now I think that simple camoflage matters above all other traits

My Egyptian Fayoumi and American Game behave almost identically when it comes to foraging and adventuring, however predators have eaten all of the Fayoumi. I believe simply because the white color clashes with the forest. It's unfortunate to learn about this the hard way, however I've been lucky to get darker Fayoumi hybrids that seem to be doing very well so far

This is a young Fayoumi cockerel that I believe is crossed with Asil
Fayoumi x Azil.png

And here's an American Game x Red Junglefowl hen (that's constantly broody) with her half Fayoumi babies
AGF x RJF & Fayoumi x.png

I have a similar project going on, though I would describe my breeding program as "throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks". Right now I think that simple camoflage matters above all other traits

My Egyptian Fayoumi and American Game behave almost identically when it comes to foraging and adventuring, however predators have eaten all of the Fayoumi. I believe simply because the white color clashes with the forest. It's unfortunate to learn about this the hard way, however I've been lucky to get darker Fayoumi hybrids that seem to be doing very well so far

This is a young Fayoumi cockerel that I believe is crossed with Asil
View attachment 3708804
And here's an American Game x Red Junglefowl hen (that's constantly broody) with her half Fayoumi babies
View attachment 3708807
Amazing looking birds ngl.🔥

I deliberately selected dark and mottled breeds to start with. White is right out. I noticed several years ago that my black birds just seemed to fade into the environment, while the one I thought would fade was ridiculously easy to spot.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are those chicks in the picture?
They hatched on the 13th of October, so just a little over two months. It can be very hard to guess Fayoumi age from physical appearance. Two months old is usually when the cockerels begin to crow

They hatched on the 13th of October, so just a little over two months. It can be very hard to guess Fayoumi age from physical appearance. Two months old is usually when the cockerels begin to crow
Thanks. I thought my crosses are looking pretty big for their age (8 weeks in this picture).

20231211_143623.jpg

And I wondered if I was imagining things.

I'm several years into landrace / barnyard mix/ survival of the fittest project. My goal is a hardy, broody bird that is great at foraging and predator evasion while still being a decent egg layer.I started off with mostly heritage breeds. White rock, barred rock , marans,easter eggers, and wyandottes are the main genetic base but I also added a handful of less common breeds for a broader genetic base. A few years into it I added some American Game. The American Game checked all the boxes except egg production. They are much more seasonal layers.
Keep us up to date on this project, please.

This year I am adding Speckled Sussex, Marans, Rangers, and Buckeyes. I also have a line on Orpington x Brahma hatching eggs when my girls start to go broody.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom