Post your before and after meat birds!

qab

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Dark Cornish pullet at 12 weeks old. Growing out a small flock 16 weeks to butcher but my appetite couldn't wait any longer and processed one early to satiate.
12weekdc.jpg

It's impossible to get quality chicken at the grocery store. Cooking this way requires a bird that is slightly tough after living a good decadent life, perfect to chew and bite into; the kind of chicken you only find in your own backyards free ranging.
hmongchickenherb.jpg

Wow, it's so flavorful and bursting with flagrance of the Hmong herbs I used to boil with. Simple and delicious! Why would anyone want to mask the taste of such perfect meat with other ingredients? Like a great steak only needs salt and pepper.
img1239u.jpg

img1251zj.jpg

Please share your before and after meat birds!
smile.png

Quote:
Boy does that chicken look good. How many weeks were they when you butchered them. I myself am trying to start some cornish rocks or broilers and hatch them from eggs and raise them and butcher them. Is it hard to hatch meat producing chickens like the white ones you have from eggs or what? Where can I get the eggs?

We butcher ours at 7wks. Many people are working on breeding their own line of meat birds but we buy ours as chicks. The feed cost to keep enough of a breeding flock to produce the number of chicks we need doesn't make it economical for us to try and breed our own.

ChickSlick, I think you can get them up to a good weight in two weeks. Mine were 7 lbs. at 6 weeks (huge) and 9 lbs. live weight on butcher day. Dressed to about 7 lbs.

Cornish X having their last meal:
26963_024.jpg

My first homegrown chicken meal:
26963_107.jpg

smile.png

They were very happy chickens. I'm finishing the last of #7 for lunch today.
Thank you, chickens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom