post your chicken coop pictures here!

Oh they are

We are dealing with a LOT of predators -- but the birds are definitely an issue! Hawks, owls, ravens, eagles... all will jump on the opportunity if handed to them! We went for a thicker metal mesh but a lot of people here just do string every foot or so. They say it works to deter the birds of prey, but I'd still be wary.

I understand from another BYCer that Tasmania has an issue with raptors also. I'm with you about being wary of slim measures against predators. Sometimes you don't even know you have chicken predators until one night driving home you see a raccoon as big as a goat crawling out of the city gutter. We see 'coon & 'possum roadkill often on our suburban city street.

Sometimes you don't even know you have chicken predators until one night driving home you see a raccoon as big as a goat crawling out of the city gutter.  We see 'coon & 'possum roadkill often on our suburban city street.

People are generally very amazed at what shows up on a game camera if they setup one, lots of critters prowling around that mostly go unseen...

I don't know if you can tell what is lurking just 20 feet of our coop.... Let's hope all the installs/upgrades do us well as there have been a lot of coyotes spotted carrying chickens off in our neighbourhood. After finding this guy this morning (and running him off) I also finally finished the top of our gate. Fingers crossed the fencing holds well!
That's what it looks like better make sure they are safe in there run

Still in the building process of my Woods-style chicken coop, but it's enough to get the chickens out of my shop and into the coop. Still have to build the top window, paint, and lots of trim work to do. Looking forward to being done with the building process soon. My daughter seems to enjoy them as well :)

Great looking coop!!! What are the dimensions? Got any build pictures of it? Your daughter is precious!!! :)

I understand from another BYCer that Tasmania has an issue with raptors also. I'm with you about being wary of slim measures against predators. Sometimes you don't even know you have chicken predators until one night driving home you see a raccoon as big as a goat crawling out of the city gutter. We see 'coon & 'possum roadkill often on our suburban city street.

It sounds strange but we are almost lucky to have the daily wolves, coyotes and then the frequent grizzly bear--- It's the urban predators that are savvy enough to get past all the precautions.

Our biggest worry is the return of pine martins in the winter-- They WILL find a way in .. no ways around it
People are generally very amazed at what shows up on a game camera if they setup one, lots of critters prowling around that mostly go unseen...
Our yard stretches back to a fork at a creek where our neighbour has a trail cam set up. Lots of bear, coyotes, wolves--- but our biggest surprise was the illegal hunter he caught on that camera too!

We get the reminding that our backyard is very wild on a weekly basis as we usually get the wolves calling and coyotes terrifying screams. (Not something you can enjoy listening to at night -- especially after a scary movie!!)

That's what it looks like better make sure they are safe in there run

Was definitely a coyote-- I sat out there and watched him come in and out of the yard several times. The run is chain link fence dug in and then outwards and then chicken wire along the bottom 3 feet or so as well. We should be safe from everything--- except maybe a huge determined grizzly could push the fencing down. Hoping not!

It sounds strange but we are almost lucky to have the daily wolves, coyotes and then the frequent grizzly bear--- It's the urban predators that are savvy enough to get past all the precautions.

Our biggest worry is the return of pine martins in the winter-- They WILL find a way in .. no ways around it
Our yard stretches back to a fork at a creek where our neighbour has a trail cam set up. Lots of bear, coyotes, wolves--- but our biggest surprise was the illegal hunter he caught on that camera too!

We get the reminding that our backyard is very wild on a weekly basis as we usually get the wolves calling and coyotes terrifying screams. (Not something you can enjoy listening to at night -- especially after a scary movie!!)
I almost wish we had wolves in this part of Washington. They are great at controlling coyote populations. And they are too human shy to try and break into a coop right next to the house...

Was definitely a coyote-- I sat out there and watched him come in and out of the yard several times. The run is chain link fence dug in and then outwards and then chicken wire along the bottom 3 feet or so as well. We should be safe from everything--- except maybe a huge determined grizzly could push the fencing down. Hoping not!
May want to add some electricity to that fencing.

Back
Top Bottom