post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here are a couple more photos.

My coop is nothing fancy like all the other coops on this thread but it is homemade though. We only have three chooks at the moment but i am hoping to expand my flock soon. They get let out a couple of times a day as i have a dog and they can't be let out without supervision. (That little coop inside is where i keep my King Quails)

I'm not sure what region you're in or what your weather is like. Do the quails get any protection from wind? I noticed the chicken nestboxes are protected but the quail cage I assume is the one on the ground - seems a bit exposed to the elements or gets wet from rain? It's nice that you supervise free-range for the chickens since dogs don't mean to but get excited chasing/playing with chickens. Our friends had a Jack Russell Terrier that raided their coop and killed 3 of their 5 hens - it was a sweet dog but highly excited around the hens - they only had chicken poultry wire fence for their run and the dog broke it.

We looked into beaktime but we have such a problem with wild Sparrows raiding our organic feed and pooping in drinking water bowls/cups that we chose the nipple valve waterers where a wild bird can't perch on a water cup to drink. That was our peculiar problem so we had to choose the Brite Tap nipple valves for outdoor water. We also like the lazy idea of the Brite Tap already assembled.

http://www.chickenwaterer.com/

The run is actually constructed with 1 5/8" by 1 5/8", but they are very very solid. I almost believe you could park a car on top of one of our runs! I tried to take a better photo of part of the run.

Your coops/runs are beautiful and roomier than any boxed assembly! I have a question since you both make and use your coops yourself. I've read reviews of owners who've had tin roofs on their coops and said they had to insulate them from the heat or from the loud noise of rain falling on them that echoed noisily inside the coop. Any thoughts?

The garden looks good and healthy. Wish I had a run like that but at least it's bigger than that or at least that big. Hope the rain doesn't hold you up to much down there it was thunder and pouring down rain here for about half an hour but then my dad comes home with this baby snapping turtle that was laying along the road before it got hit and stuck it down in the crick by the pond my dog goes swimming in so I will have to keep an eye out for the little bugger.

Your coops/runs are beautiful and roomier than any boxed assembly! I have a question since you both make and use your coops yourself. I've read reviews of owners who've had tin roofs on their coops and said they had to insulate them from the heat or from the loud noise of rain falling on them that echoed noisily inside the coop. Any thoughts?
They're pretty well ventilated. There are vent windows that are covered with hardware cloth from the inside, but open up to allow for more circulation and could be left closed for cold weather. There are vents on all the coops. It depends on the color of the metal too. You wouldn't want to use a dark color metal, but white is best. I never thought about the loud noise from the rain on the tin roof. I've always enjoyed the sound of rain on a tin roof myself. Maybe next time it rains, I'll go investigate to see if it's noisy.
smile.png

There are some pretty awesome pictures of coops here. I just recently decided to try my hand in raising chickens and unfortunately did very little research before hand. I've had a few disasters and losses (raccoons) but I've learned a lot in a short time especially since I found this website. My coop is certainly not pretty but thought I'd share it. I put a lot of work into and am proud of it anyway. I still have to roof it but am using tarps/ chicken wire for now. It started as a fort my kids stopped using a long time ago. I thought this was a good way to re-purpose it. Thank you everyone who has taken the time to post on this website giving your knowledge and expertise to people like me.

Chickens love to scratch through dirt, plants, grass, straw, etc.  Don't be surprised to find them dust-bathing in the floor material!  My chick decided to take a dust-bath in a hairnet that fell on the floor!
I was surprised to watch one of my hens trying to dust bath in the heavy Pyrex glass casserole dish I put their oyster shell in...she just fit into it...and she slowly spun around inside it as she flipper flopped....going thru her dusting ritual....love those birds...they do the funniest things...make me laugh!

I dont get long freezes for winter I have other concerns about water..... Namely the heat. at 105 on a very hot day the chickens go through a lot of water.... Part of their cooling process is dipping those wattles in the water when they drink.... I dont have the strength anymore to fill and tip over a waterer and bring it into the coop. some years back I put all my livestock on the same type of water system.... Its been unfailingly reliable for about fifteen years now. From filling a 110 gallon stock tank for my horse Eighty gallons for my goats and three gallons for each chicken pen and water for the dog. the tubs are indestructable my 2000 pound horse can stand on the edge and crush it when she lifts her foot up it springs back. when they do freeze over you just dump em.... the ice pops out.... then the valve begins to fill again.... easy to clean too dump and scrub with a toilet brush if needed. The valves are designed for a hose.... but I use Washing Machine hoses because they are built to be put in place reliablly for a very long time. for the HOrse i buy the wire reinforced once.... cuz she messes with stuff.... :gig Up till now i have been using garden hoses with splitters to handle all the livestock.... but when i build the new coop I am running a trench and PVC to all. deb
I agree! Those rubber feed dishes/bowl or whatever ya wanna call them, are the best!

Back
Top Bottom