post your chicken coop pictures here!

I moved away from So Cal 37 years ago to escape the heat and over population. It is far FAR worse now that it was then. Miss family, don't miss anything else.
Years ago a marriage to a creep kept me from leaving family support in SoCal. Now that I'm married to a great DH we're too old to pull up roots. TG for A/C's and generators during rolling brown-outs or storm outages. Building a patio roof over the coop and run has made a shady haven for the chickens and cover from winter downpours!

Well got out of the pool to put everything away before the winds, rain, thunder lightening, and possible hail came.to find that we only got a few sprinkles thunder and the power flickered but people a few minutes away got absolutely hammered. And the day before this we only got a few sprinkles also and we were to have a thunderstorm but now the sun is back out and shinning so much for getting any rain.
Either weather is getting weirder or else we are so technologically connected to the world that we can't believe what different climate exist in other sections of our world!

With everyone talking about the heat I just have to share this

This photo of a floating chicken is so strange it almost seems photo-shopped!
lol.png

Our temps are in the triple digits so I found one more very good reason to have a portable nipple valve waterer in the yard. During Spring the red Brite Tap valve water jug was mostly in the shade of the canopy but early Summer sun began heating up the area. During this horrible summer heatwave I found it necessary to park the water jug next to the chicken coop because the ground became too hot for chicken feet to run to the canopy. The ground dried up and heated up faster than I could keep it watered down. The morning sun gets so hot I can't garden or do yardwork after 7 a.m. I've been having to rise before the chickens in the morning to do a decent amount of yardwork before the sun puts a stop to it:

The coop is shaded under a patio roof where we moved the red portable Brite Tap water jug:

This Black Silkie went broody when the heatwave started and now that the iced water jug is in the shade next to the coop she started taking her usual "showers" under the nipple valves. Here she is working the cold water into her breast skin to cool off and she snapped out of her broody mode. She kept taking showers as her breast feathers dried up. She somehow manages to soak her head and back too:

Another Silkie finds the haven of cold water under the Brite Tap. I just love this portable jug. Easy to move around the yard and easy to clean. We keep the tap water slow-dripping (the green faucet on the wall) so some of the slab stays wet during the hottest days to keep the chickens' feet comfortable.

I thought LAST YEAR was crazy weather but this year has it beat for crazy weather! What used to be SoCalif "June Gloom" (overcast mornings until 9 or 10 a.m.) has turned into a heatwave starting as early as 7 a.m. In July every year we get 2 or 3 rainy/sprinkly cool days but THIS YEAR we got a couple of light sprinkle days in June and then mid-June the heatwaves started very early and haven't let up yet! I'm tired of 100[SUP]o[/SUP] long long days! We built a patio roof over the coop and run to cover from rain but so far it's been a shady haven for the chickens during this heat.
Oh wow thats dreadful! Hope you get some rain
I moved away from So Cal 37 years ago to escape the heat and over population. It is far FAR worse now that it was then. Miss family, don't miss anything else.
With everyone talking about the heat I just have to share this
[COLOR=0000CD]Years ago a marriage to a creep kept me from leaving family support in SoCal. Now that I'm married to a great DH we're too old to pull up roots. TG for A/C's and generators during rolling brown-outs or storm outages. Building a patio roof over the coop and run has made a shady haven for the chickens and cover from winter downpours![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Either weather is getting weirder or else we are so technologically connected to the world that we can't believe what different climate exist in other sections of our world![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]This photo of a floating chicken is so strange it almost seems photo-shopped![/COLOR] :lol: [COLOR=0000CD] [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Our temps are in the triple digits so I found one more very good reason to have a portable nipple valve waterer in the yard. During Spring the red Brite Tap valve water jug was mostly in the shade of the canopy but early Summer sun began heating up the area. During this horrible summer heatwave I found it necessary to park the water jug next to the chicken coop because the ground became too hot for chicken feet to run to the canopy. The ground dried up and heated up faster than I could keep it watered down. The morning sun gets so hot I can't garden or do yardwork after 7 a.m. I've been having to rise before the chickens in the morning to do a decent amount of yardwork before the sun puts a stop to it:[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]The coop is shaded under a patio roof where we moved the red portable Brite Tap water jug:[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]This Black Silkie went broody when the heatwave started and now that the iced water jug is in the shade next to the coop she started taking her usual "showers" under the nipple valves. Here she is working the cold water into her breast skin to cool off and she snapped out of her broody mode. She kept taking showers as her breast feathers dried up. She somehow manages to soak her head and back too:[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Another Silkie finds the haven of cold water under the Brite Tap. I just love this portable jug. Easy to move around the yard and easy to clean. We keep the tap water slow-dripping (the green faucet on the wall) so some of the slab stays wet during the hottest days to keep the chickens' feet comfortable.[/COLOR]
WOW. And how do they shower with it? Does the valve leak some or something? Smart chickens. And that photo of the chicken in the pool is too funny LOL And this isnt really related per se but i heard today the great barrier reef is dying fast plus the rainforest deforestation and global warming or at least pollution, of which the reef and ice caps and a lot of this may be related, and big business, and just i don't know, it seems to me the world's going down faster than we can say even a short word like stop! and we may not have a planet in a few years if this keeps up :/

Oh wow thats dreadful! Hope you get some rain

WOW.

And how do they shower with it? Does the valve leak some or something? Smart chickens. For some reason only the little Black Silkie has figured out how to give herself a complete shower under the Brite Tap nipple valves. She just keeps hitting the valves fast and hard so the cold water dribbles down her head, chest, and back -- then she works the water through all the fluffy feathers she can reach with her beak to work the water down to the her skin! Chickens have such funny different quirks!

And that photo of the chicken in the pool is too funny LOL That photo WAS funny!

And this isnt really related per se but i heard today the great barrier reef is dying fast plus the rainforest deforestation and global warming or at least pollution, of which the reef and ice caps and a lot of this may be related, and big business, and just i don't know, it seems to me the world's going down faster than we can say even a short word like stop! and we may not have a planet in a few years if this keeps up
hmm.png
My Mom was always saying how fast the world was going downhill and now that I'm old myself I'm kinda glad I won't be around to see mankind, greed, and overpopulation kill-off this planet completely! As it is we have drought restrictions by the water district and have to keep 5-gal bottles of filtered water on hand for the chickens! Forget rain barrel water -- we haven't seen rain in 4 months and are in the triple digit temps since mid-June! My breeder can't ship my pullet from NoCal to SoCal because our State is suffering from heat, drought, and fires. A couple photos of the fire behind our home recently:

Back
Top Bottom