post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hadn't thought of attaching it to the wall, that's a good idea and would take up less room in the coop too. But yeah, I was worried about injuries too especially since we all know chickens aren't likely to ALWAYS use the ramp and may just fly down in the morning LOL plus I was worried because there's 4 beams/rafters (2 feet apart) and the coops 4x8 with 4 foot walls plus the roof, that there wouldn't be enough landing room to glide down at a nice angle without hitting something and without being injured. Plus I'm worried that they will freeze to death since I had read once they should be below vents but then again they sleep on trees in the wild and have slept on the roof when it's not too too cold so maybe I'm just paranoid lol if I block off the rafters will they still be able to see them and be unhappy they can't get up there or will the get used to the roosts given to them?

I hadn't thought of starting indoors, that's a good idea. Anyway, it's mostly summer veggies. Squash, cucumber, pumpkin, peppers, that sort of thing
I'm a paranoid worrier also
big_smile.png
especially after my Silkie was hurt. Your rafters can be blocked by wiring to still allow for air flow into the coop. And the chickens will like their roosts you provide for them. Chickens adapt once they are in a routine. However, they don't like change. We have a pullet indoors for quarantine before integrating her outdoors and we noticed she wasn't using a box we had in her indoor kennel. We decided to take the box out to give her more floor space. When it was time for evening roost she kept walking in and out of her kennel complaining murmuring. We put the box back and she stayed in the kennel. She never uses the box but that night she nestled close to it as if to guard it so it wouldn't disappear again! She wants her familiar things around her - she's my "material girl."

I am only doing raised beds this year
roll.png
trying to eeck a garden from
pasture land failed horribly our first summer here none of us could stay
bent over or standing to weed the the beds or stay in the sunshine to do it...
was given 6 tires where James bought tires for his truck that will be used for tators
have to do pumpkin, zucchini, acorn squash, carrots and beets..
I have a separate herb garden all year long

Different zones require different gardening solutions. I keep my herbs in separate containers so I can move them under the patio roof in winter to keep them protected from inclement weather. I like to keep my cukes in containers rather than a raised bed because cukes give up so early in summer after the first harvest. That way I save my raised beds for longer-lasting producers like tomatoes or squashes or melons. I like your use of tires as raised beds. I've also seen tires used as nests with straw for hens hatching eggs.

We've never grown anything but a year or two ago we planted some peppers and tomatoes and stuff in a sandy spot on a hill in the sun, probably not the best place. They did eventually grow but I don't think we got any vegetables cause they died and the deer ate the tomatoes to the ground. This year I'm gonna plant in a better spot

Sorry about your deer problem. Deer are so cute but I hate them on the highway or in a garden. In your case you may have to take measures to securely fence and maybe double-fence your next garden area. Deer can jump over fences easily if they are determined to forage but a second inside fence about 12 to 18" from the outside fence might be a good idea to discourage their jumping or maybe electric fencing -- that would keep all wandering critters out except maybe the burrowing types like rabbits, gophers, or moles.

Peppers, hot or sweet varieties, take a long time to grow. I germinate them indoors and they are probably the last veggies I transplant because they need a good strong stem before transplanting. I give them an hour in the sun and have the breeze blow on them to strengthen their growth and bring the seedlings back into the house again. Bamboo skewers are good to use as support of the delicate seedlings. Once peppers are 6 inches high or more I will transplant the peppers into their own separate outdoor containers. Peppers will live for several seasons in the container if they are protected from inclement weather. I have a pepper plant that's 3 yrs old because I keep it protected in winter under a patio roof. It might lose all its leaves but as long as the main stem stays green it is alive. I get peppers every year from it but I feed my container plants good organic plant food and compost to rejuvenate them for the following year. I've had container tomatoes give me harvests up to 3 yrs in a container -- the fruit might be slightly smaller in size but the plant still produces.

Quote:
The only one of those you could grow indoors unless you have a greenhouse is the peppers, the others take up a huge amount of space. And as @Sylvester017 said, peppers take a LONG time. They HAVE to be started indoors for Memorial Day transplanting in colder areas with a short growing season. Same with tomatoes.

The only one of those you could grow indoors unless you have a greenhouse is the peppers, the others take up a huge amount of space. And as @Sylvester017
 said, peppers take a LONG time. They HAVE to be started indoors for Memorial Day transplanting in colder areas with a short growing season. Same with tomatoes.

Thanks for the info. So I didn't miss it yet did I?

I have been away from this lovely forum for a few years, and have been helping other folks in my area start their backyard flocks. Originally I was bringing in chicks in the dead of winter, raising them til fully feathered and selling them. Had lots of fun, and am going to have another 100 or so chicks in my brooding shed by mid January if all goes to plan.
So.... what was the next chicken venture???
Coops!
A couple of my recent builds.
Hope you like. ;)

I have been away from this lovely forum for a few years, and have been helping other folks in my area start their backyard flocks. Originally I was bringing in chicks in the dead of winter, raising them til fully feathered and selling them. Had lots of fun, and am going to have another 100 or so chicks in my brooding shed by mid January if all goes to plan.
So.... what was the next chicken venture???
Coops!
A couple of my recent builds.
Hope you like. ;)

they look lovely! great job!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom