post your chicken coop pictures here!

No coop is complete without an antique rooster weather vane

Agreed! I so want one of these!!!

Thank you Angie16! So far they are not paying it any attention that I am aware of but have not been home all day every day. We will be putting up some roosting bars outside so maybe with the addition of those we will have better results with the swing.

This is my first time raising backyard chickens. Also my first chicken coop.Used recycled shipping crates and pallets. left over deck material and couple box of screws. purchased wire and pvc for waterer and feeder. I am looking for input. I built for 4 RIR, ended up getting 5 RIR chicks. Big enough to accommodate 5 RIR hens?? Chicks are about 2 weeks old, in brooder in garage. Thank you!

Greetings RIR85,
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
& this thread.

I'm no expert and am still building my coop(s). Looks like a pretty decent job there for a first attempt! A couple of things I notice is that there doesn't appear to be any roosts inside. You don't really want your birds sleeping in the nesting boxes as they will make them a real mess that you'll have to clean up every day. The roost area should be higher than the nest box entrance. The other thing is space... RIR's are full size birds, and that's gonna be a pretty tight space for 5 of them. Not sure of exact dimensions, just basing it off the size of the electric drill inside. If you're like most of us, you'll end up expanding anyway
D.gif
Good luck with your chickeneering!

Greetings RIR85,
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
& this thread.

I'm no expert and am still building my coop(s). Looks like a pretty decent job there for a first attempt! A couple of things I notice is that there doesn't appear to be any roosts inside. You don't really want your birds sleeping in the nesting boxes as they will make them a real mess that you'll have to clean up every day. The roost area should be higher than the nest box entrance. The other thing is space... RIR's are full size birds, and that's gonna be a pretty tight space for 5 of them. Not sure of exact dimensions, just basing it off the size of the electric drill inside. If you're like most of us, you'll end up expanding anyway
D.gif
Good luck with your chickeneering!

First of all, Welcome From Cut-N-Shoot, TX. Looking at the pics, I see a few problems. I agree with Latestarter, you need to put a roost in there. I don't know how many birds you have, but you need at least 2 square feet per bird, or you will be having stress problems from overcrowding. This leads to health problems. I, personally would put 1/2" mesh hardware cloth around the run, to help prevent predators from getting your ladies. Poultry wire is ok, but racoons and dogs and coyotes can get thru it fairly easily. Also, snakes big enough to eat eggs and small chicks, can get thru. I know you are thinking, this guy is picking my coop apart, and thinks he knows it all, but I am trying to help you not go thru what I did when I first started out. Lost a few birds. Predators suck!! Coop looks great though!!!

Thank you for your comments . I am building bigger have new photos soon. I have plans for roost as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. and thank for pointers I agree with most of ALL the comments. But live and learn I love the hobby and building stuff so I am all over making it bigger just not TOO big.

Back
Top Bottom