post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Foghorn4

Foghorn4 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Love it! So CUTE!

1 person likes this.
  3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Thanks for the info. We're looking at all kinds of coops and getting ideas from this thread about what chickens like instead of just getting a "pretty" coop. We're too old to build ourselves. In calling around different coop companies many of the representatives were not aware about perch placement - that it should be slightly higher than the nestboxes and that the flat side should be facing up and not the narrow side. I haven't found one company yet that builds the perch with the flat side up.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wowwwww! Nice finishing work!! Very fancy and pretty to look at I really appreciate this Should be in a magazine!

1 person likes this.
  5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

Looks amazing

1 person likes this.
  6. Foghorn4

Foghorn4 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    Our isn't very fancy! My husband brought me home four baby chicks a while ago and I'm addicted to them. We just used old wood we found from his workshop and bright paint. We use wheels to move it from one spot to the next if the ground starts getting bad and put in in a new patch of fresh grass,and I'll add some hay. First time chicken farmers and not as great as most on here but it was a sweet project he came up with for both of us to do together. Learning as we go! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Big old sweetie! I'm kinda hoping my mini Aussie shepherd puppy will be a good guard dog for my girls, and would learn to herd them as well later on. Then I could let the girls free range a little while she watches them and she can herd them all back into their tractor when we're ready to go in. she loves to go out and watch the girls in their tractor.

1 person likes this.
  8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    WOW!! It's lovely!

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Well I think you two did a bang-up job...NICE!

1 person likes this.
  10. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Questions that need to be asked before you can get an answer:
    1) How old are the birds?
    2) How high is the roost?
    3) Are there intermediate height roosts to get to the top or a ramp?

It is pretty unusual for a chicken to NOT want to be well up off the ground if they can when they roost.
    All of my girls (see signature) roost at 4'. They use the 2' high roost as an intermediate step going up but not down (it is only 9 inches forward so too close for that).
    One of my Black Australorps laid a 114 gram egg yesterday. That is nearly the weight of 2 USDA large eggs so you know she is not a small bird.

If the birds are young, it usually takes only one or two nights of putting them on the roost before they will go their themselves if they can. Also, if they are not old enough to lay, you should not have open nest boxes for just the reason you posted. You don't want them thinking the nest boxes are a place to sleep. Chickens poop when they sleep and you do NOT want that in the nest boxes.

Same question, how old are they? Any grown chicken including bantams can get to 40 cm. The access "perch" in front of my nest boxes is higher than that. The only reason I can think of for a grown bird to not use a high roost is if they can not get down. They need to "hop" to lower supports (do NOT have to be 2x4 on the flat for that) or fly down and for flying they need horizontal distance ~ 2x the height of the roost minimum, they are not helicopters.

I am a wee bit concerned about 7 grown chickens in that coop unless they are bantams so please start on the larger coop soon.

Pretty much any one who builds can build a coop if they have a design. Some need blueprint detail and some can think. All the latter need are dimensions and specifics with regard to things that are chicken specific like the height of the roosts and that they should be 2x4 on the flat or 3" round fence rail for large fowl, ventilation. If one KNOWS what they want and can articulate that, getting it built should not be hard. There are tons of self designed coops here on BYC that are SO much better than the "fits 4 to 6 chickens" commercial things that MIGHT be big enough for 3 and cost a lot more because the "middlemen" all have to make a profit.

"slightly higher than the nestboxes"
    is the MINIMUM. Just want to make sure people reading through don't mistakenly read that to mean if the nest boxes are at 15", the roosts should be no higher than 18" (random numbers)

Bruce

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by