post your chicken coop pictures here!

Fantastic that the Orps are bantams with the Silkie.  They will be on equal terms size-wise when the pecking order squabbles happen.  I thought the Orps were LF because those big girls can really do a number on bantams.  What cockerel/cock bantam breed do you have - also an Orp?  Our little Partridge Silkie boy was too noisy and had to be rehomed - those Silkies are either very quiet or very loud!

My Roo is a bantam Chocolate Orpie...Everyone is 2-3 months old. I live in the country so most of my neighbors have chickens, makes a swap easy. I am sorry about your Silkie boy, I haven't noticed them being any louder than any of the other's.
If you like Orpies, my Chocolate Roo is like a baby! He wants me to hold him, it's the cutest lil guy ever! Great personality☆

Hey guys.. How long will these free loaders be eggless? Lol.... No eggs for a little over a week... I see no signs of molt but that's the best reason. The australorps are suppose to be good cold weather layers...

Hey guys.. How long will these free loaders be eggless? Lol.... No eggs for a little over a week... I see no signs of molt but that's the best reason. The australorps are suppose to be good cold weather layers...
You really need to post this in the Chicken Behaviors & Egg Laying thread....this thread is for Coop & Run Design, etc. Not harping at you...heck, I've done it myself!
sickbyc.gif
But we shouldn't let this thread get 'side-tracked' .....

You really need to post this in the [COLOR=000080]Chicken Behaviors & Egg Laying [/COLOR]thread....this thread is for Coop & Run Design, etc. Not harping at you...heck, I've done it myself! :sick  But we shouldn't let this thread get 'side-tracked' .....

Thanks... Wasn't sure where to post that question...

My Roo is a bantam Chocolate Orpie...Everyone is 2-3 months old. I live in the country so most of my neighbors have chickens, makes a swap easy. I am sorry about your Silkie boy, I haven't noticed them being any louder than any of the other's.
If you like Orpies, my Chocolate Roo is like a baby! He wants me to hold him, it's the cutest lil guy ever! Great personality☆

I agree the little boys are the cutest and are sweeter than the girls. Our Silkie boy was a LUV but he was sold to us as a "pullet" along with his sister and we aren't zoned for roos plus he kept wanting to breed with his sister and that's a genetic no-no so we reluctantly had to rehome him. I get sad whenever I see his photos on my 'puter. We had to purchase a guaranteed 3-month old pullet from a private breeder in order to replace him. My Silkie pullets are terrific layers for bantams with larger than average-sized bantam eggs at 1.25 to 1.5 oz so I never needed to consider any other bantam breeds. The Silkies are several ounces heavier than other bantam breeds so they produce a slightly larger egg. Since being up to a 1/2 pound heavier than other bantams our Silkie hens blend in well with our non-combative light-weight 5-lb Ameraucana. It will be interesting in the Spring to see how well 4 to 5-lb gentle Bredas will mix with our Silkies and Ameraucana. Dealing with bearded/crested/fluffy/muffed breeds for the last 3 years it will be interesting to have no-crest/no-comb non-broody Bredas in the flock next year. 5 hens will be the max my little coop will handle until we can afford our bigger coop. Having a small flock is easier on chicken health maintenance and coop maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom