post your chicken coop pictures here!

As far as having goats with chickens, my friends have goats with their chickens on their farm with no problems. Their chickens are free range and often hang out with the goats. They also have free range turkeys, once again, no problem. If you have enough space and your chickens are free to roam the property, you won't have a problem. My friend keeps her two nasty , intact male goats in a pen attached to the chicken coop. The goats butted a hole in the adjoining wall between the coop and goat pen. The chickens now like to roost in the rafters above the goats. The goats just pretty much ignore them.

I've only looked at the first 5 pages.... there are so many.... and the coops are all so great!! I wish I was more handy with building so I could build my own coop! Great job everyone!

As far as having goats with chickens, my friends have goats with their chickens on their farm with no problems. Their chickens are free range and often hang out with the goats. They also have free range turkeys, once again, no problem. If you have enough space and your chickens are free to roam the property, you won't have a problem. My friend keeps her two nasty , intact male goats in a pen attached to the chicken coop. The goats butted a hole in the adjoining wall between the coop and goat pen. The chickens now like to roost in the rafters above the goats. The goats just pretty much ignore them.
I think the issue of goats with chicken is that goats can gorge on the chicken crumble and it can make them lethally ill.

We love our goats as much as our chickens. If we run into problems, we will find a way to work it out. I had heard about the goats eating the chicken food, that is why we have the /L/ opening, so the goats can not get into the coop. So far, so good. One hen likes the goat barn better than the coop and lays her eggs there. The farm we purchased our first goats from, had goats, chickens, turkeys and cats all living in harmony together. In addition to their koi business. I appreciate the sharing of warning and concern. We would make a fenced yard for the chickens rather than get rid of either animal.

Just finished. I lined the inside with .080 aluminum sheets that have 1/2 inch holes all the way across and dug the sheets in the ground 0ne foot. Thiis is a preditor proof coop.

Quote: Could I cut out the insides of a regular door, put hardware cloth on it and use as my screen door for my run??? Anyone have ideas??

Anyone out there have opinions, please?!

Last edited:
LOVE the chickens - get rid of the goats. Not a good idea together. We gave ours away. Another chickeneer lost her best rooster to a runaway goat. They are unpredicatable creatures and pushy and love to butt from behind. Not a good match for a 6-lb chicken when goats go haywire. But hey, it's your yard. Just sharing what happened to others. Laying hens need a peaceful environment with no stress and goats are an unpredictable livestock. Cows are okay, ducks are okay, geese are okay, turkeys shouldn't be mixed with chickens, but goats definitely iffy.

What about sheep? Small flock of Shetlands?

Added a roosting ladder to the run during the weekend. Our feathered friends seemed to like it. Just after this picture they all came out curious to see the dogs. Now they jump on the roost first when coming out of the coop.

I agree. The biggest problem I see is the poultry wire. It is good for keeping chickens in, but not good for keeping predators out. Dogs, coyotes, racoons, skunks, bobcats, etc. can rip right thru it.I know it is expensive, but hardware cloth is the way to go. Buried about a foot along the perimeter, to discourage digging, and everywhere the birds are not closed in the coop. You can put it over the chicken wire, if you want, easier than tearing it off. I build coops as a side business, and security is job 1!!

Yes I'm aware of the chicken wire not keeping predators out. But we have a fence that uses hardware cloth and the coop is inside that fence. So we chose to try it out with the 2 types combined since the coop came with the chicken wire instead of spending unnessecary money if we don't need to. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom