post your chicken coop pictures here!

Quote: Could I cut out the insides of a regular door, put hardware cloth on it and use as my screen door for my run??? Anyone have ideas??

Anyone out there have opinions, please?!
It would depend on the type of door...are you talking about a solid wood door with stiles, purlins and panels.......or a hollow core interior type door?
Solid wood door, probably.....hollow core door, maybe. Any modified door could become weaker and rickety.
Any door meant to be inside a house would not last long exposed to the elements...even an exterior door could suffer.

Speaking of doors...if I were to get a regular wood door from ReStore (Habitat for Humanity outlet), could I cut out the insides of it and use as my screen door for my coop??? Anyone have ideas??
idunno.gif

As long as you accept that it will no longer have the strength of the original door it could work, as a screen door. Leave a cross brace for strength. Also, cover the door with hardware cloth, that will provide more strength reinforcement *and* protection. Instead of staples, use those flat wide washers and screws. I think the washers are called fender washers? I've made several lightweight "screen" doors with lumber and hardware cloth, they are all holding up. Probably using a real door and cutting out the insides would be stronger than what I have. You really won't know for sure until you try it. It is worth an experiment. good luck!

Thanks aart...I thought that might be the case. Oh well, back to the drawing board...sigh...

I bought a screen door at Home Depot 36" wide for $22.00. I had to cut the top off because it was too tall. It was easy enough and then I just reattached the top piece lower down.
original

Modified.
I know it's nothing fancy but it provides the ventilation I needed.

Not sure if this helps at all.

As long as you accept that it will no longer have the strength of the original door it could work, as a screen door. Leave a cross brace for strength. Also, cover the door with hardware cloth, that will provide more strength reinforcement *and* protection. Instead of staples, use those flat wide washers and screws. I think the washers are called fender washers? I've made several lightweight "screen" doors with lumber and hardware cloth, they are all holding up. Probably using a real door and cutting out the insides would be stronger than what I have. You really won't know for sure until you try it. It is worth an experiment. good luck!
You read my mind...and yes, I'll be using 1/2" hardware cloth on it, and mounting it with flat washers & screws...thanks so much for you input...appreciate it!
thumbsup.gif

I bought a screen door at Home Depot 36" wide for $22.00. I had to cut the top off because it was too tall. It was easy enough and then I just reattached the top piece lower down.
original

Modified.
I know it's nothing fancy but it provides the ventilation I needed.

Not sure if this helps at all.
Hmmmmm, now you got me thinking!!! I had no idea I could get a screen door so cheaply...hmmmmm...that might just be the ticket rather than this 70-year-old trying to make one!
old.gif

LOVE the chickens - get rid of the goats. Not a good idea together. We gave ours away. Another chickeneer lost her best rooster to a runaway goat. They are unpredicatable creatures and pushy and love to butt from behind. Not a good match for a 6-lb chicken when goats go haywire. But hey, it's your yard. Just sharing what happened to others. Laying hens need a peaceful environment with no stress and goats are an unpredictable livestock. Cows are okay, ducks are okay, geese are okay, turkeys shouldn't be mixed with chickens, but goats definitely iffy.
. I can understand chickens being too small to be around Goats.. But I'm wondering if very Large Geese are safe?? My goats are Dwarf size too...????

Back
Top Bottom