post your chicken coop pictures here!

We are using the heaviest gauge hard wire, I raise Lion Heads and have a custom hutch as well. We own a stone company, so I am going to cover the interior flooring of the play pen with interlocking pavers, and cover those with a nice soft surface.
goodpost.gif

My mother designed and had her "chicken barn" built - course my mother has different views on things and people think it's more a house than a barn needless to say chicken barn - I plan on doing something similar when I reach the point but definitely on same as what she envisioned

There's a insulated brood/hatch room
6 stalls - 4 10x10 and 2 12x12 - 1 12x12 is for her future mini goat- rest is all chicken
Workshop
Bathroom and shower
Tack/store room
Milk room

Not to mention foundation is 3 feet down, metal sheeting around base up 2 feet under panels- each stall is high grade wire top too- nothing can chew or get in unless doors left open all nite- she made sure her investment was protected lol
Don't forget to make the outside pen area very secure also. The barn is a Cadillac so don't make the pen a Model T.

Congrats!

Just finished our little suburban coop! Our new little ladies moved in this week and seem to be settling in just fine!

You used a lot of security and precautionary build on this coop and it's darling.

My one question - "Is the hardwire buried into the ground to deter digging predators?" If not a wider paver stone walkway around the entire base of the hardwire pen would be advisable. You have a lot of predator trees around the property - which is lovely BTW but full of predator invitations.

I grew up raising 100-150 hybrid meat chickens each year. We always kept 10 or so around through the winter for eggs and would start again each spring. About three weeks ago our neighbor brought us four chicks from her dad's farm. Two Barred Rock and what appears to me to be two Black Japanese Bantams. My 8 yr old and 6 year old daughters love them and have turned into good little mothers. I built a mobile run, closed in on all sides and the top but portable so they get fresh bugs every now and then. My little coop is an homage to my great grandad, it's built entirely out of found items. Hope you enjoy our pictures!

If this is a portable tractor where do they sleep securely for the night? The poultry wire is flimsy and will not withstand a Raccoon attack or even a dog digging under it. Since you've had chickens before I must assume you have a more secure night coop?

Hey guys...l last night I put down a dusting of DE and barn lime (AG lime) and this morning my chickens have scratched their way right down to it and are dust bathing in it!! I know the DE won't hurt them because it's Food grade but the barn lime? Lol.. Funniest thing because it's like they went strait to the areas lol...
Chicken magnet

Yes, I was quite concerned about predators when building our coop. It's not unusual to see foxes in our neighborhood, and although I've never seen a raccoon, I'm sure they are around. Not to mention all the hawks, copperheads and neighborhood cats! I dug a trench around the entire perimeter of the run and buried the hardware fabric. Our soil is heavy clay around here, so I was only able to dig down around 12 inches, so hopefully that was deep enough. I figured if I was having trouble digging in the rock-hard clay with a shovel, animal paws wouldn't get much further either!

Here's a picture:

In hindsight, I should have installed the hardware fabric in more of an "L" formation. Since it kind of curves out from the bottom edge of the run (rather than going straight down then out), when I shoveled the heavy soil back on and tamped it down, some of the fabric pulled off and needed to be reattached. To ensure this wouldn't continue to happen as the soil becomes more compressed around the coop, we installed 2X2 caps over the hardware fabric where it attaches to the run.

Here's a close-up picture of the caps:

As you noticed, I did put some pavers around the back side of the coop for added protection.

Hopefully, all this will keep our little cluckers safe!

Last edited:
Yes, I was quite concerned about predators when building our coop. It's not unusual to see foxes in our neighborhood, and although I've never seen a raccoon, I'm sure they are around. Not to mention all the hawks, copperheads and neighborhood cats! I dug a trench around the entire perimeter of the run and buried the hardware fabric. Our soil is heavy clay around here, so I was only able to dig down around 12 inches, so hopefully that was deep enough. I figured if I was having trouble digging in the rock-hard clay with a shovel, animal paws wouldn't get much further either!

Here's a picture:

As you noticed, I did put some pavers around the back side of the coop for added protection. Hopefully, all this will keep our little cluckers safe!
Excellent job!

Hi Mother: That hardware cloth apron is more than adequate! I assume the apron is actually attached to the base of the enclosure under the trim board at the bottom. My primary concern looking at the picture... I can see the enclosure sitting on top of some pavers and I wonder is it now or going to be anchored to the ground in some fashion? The reason I ask is because if there are no legs going into the ground for support, & with no lateral/diagonal supports, if something heavy hits it from the side (child or large dog?) the whole thing might/could just fold right over (kinda like a domino falling?) The nails at top and base are not/will not be strong enough against any heavy/determined force.

Don't forget to make the outside pen area very secure also.  The barn is a Cadillac so don't make the pen a Model T.

Congrats!

My mom wouldn't have it that way trust me - the only predators we have to worry about are birds of prey and rats - maybe coon and possum - but I don't even know about that anymore- they had the acreage fenced off completely due to neighbor dogs , coyotes , deer keeping her dogs barking all nite

These are runs so far and yes on the completed ones there's tops now - this was before tops got added - we're planning on growing greens or I've been looking into Fodder possibly - with hawks and bald eagles she wanted the sets here to be well protected - esp since some are bantam in this set up- we're still tweaking it all in between time since I'll be moving to property next door here shortly- we're hoping by next yr we can start selling chicks since there's no one local that does -

Last edited:

This is our first one. 7'w x 12'l x 6'h. Repurposed dog house. I am already planning a rebuild of the coop, but just had to start somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom