post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hi Mother: That hardware cloth apron is more than adequate! I assume the apron is actually attached to the base of the enclosure under the trim board at the bottom. My primary concern looking at the picture... I can see the enclosure sitting on top of some pavers and I wonder is it now or going to be anchored to the ground in some fashion? The reason I ask is because if there are no legs going into the ground for support, & with no lateral/diagonal supports, if something heavy hits it from the side (child or large dog?) the whole thing might/could just fold right over (kinda like a domino falling?) The nails at top and base are not/will not be strong enough against any heavy/determined force.
Yes, the hardware cloth is attached to the base under the trim board. It is not anchored into the ground, but after the above picture was taken, we installed cross members to firm up the entire structure and to support the metal roof. You can kind of see the cross members in the picture below. The entire structure is quite solid!

Still working on inside of coop area but good start.

we have the 2 coops but 30 chickens go into camper coop, they all roost on one roos we put up, we do have 2 other roos but they like his one, went out today and its on the floor, dh said he will have to work on that one wall as it must have a water leak in the wall, he is going to have to fix that at the same time he adds the run to that end of coop it is an old camper. he did fix it for now.

Last edited:
Hey guys...l last night I put down a dusting of DE and barn lime (AG lime) and this morning my chickens have scratched their way right down to it and are dust bathing in it!! I know the DE won't hurt them because it's Food grade but the barn lime? Lol.. Funniest thing because it's like they went strait to the areas lol...
Chicken magnet

Chickens are prone to respiratory issues so I don't use extra additives to dirt in powder form - DE, mite/lice powders, bakings soda, etc. DE has so many warnings on its label that if it's that dangerous that humans have to wear masks or goggles to be around it what is it doing to chickens/pets? Sounds a bit too snake-oil to cure everything from fleas and ticks to aiding in digestion? - I don't think so.

As far as the lime it is basically a calcium like oyster shells, egg shells, etc. and is not a threat.

The pros/cons of DE one of the more intelligent articles researched: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html

Yes, I was quite concerned about predators when building our coop. It's not unusual to see foxes in our neighborhood, and although I've never seen a raccoon, I'm sure they are around. Not to mention all the hawks, copperheads and neighborhood cats! I dug a trench around the entire perimeter of the run and buried the hardware fabric. Our soil is heavy clay around here, so I was only able to dig down around 12 inches, so hopefully that was deep enough. I figured if I was having trouble digging in the rock-hard clay with a shovel, animal paws wouldn't get much further either!

Here's a picture:

In hindsight, I should have installed the hardware fabric in more of an "L" formation. Since it kind of curves out from the bottom edge of the run (rather than going straight down then out), when I shoveled the heavy soil back on and tamped it down, some of the fabric pulled off and needed to be reattached. To ensure this wouldn't continue to happen as the soil becomes more compressed around the coop, we installed 2X2 caps over the hardware fabric where it attaches to the run.

Here's a close-up picture of the caps:

As you noticed, I did put some pavers around the back side of the coop for added protection.

Hopefully, all this will keep our little cluckers safe!

Oh, you are fantastic! That is so absolutely wonderful and that you have the coop raised higher than most. Almost like roosting in the trees because of it's altitude. Be so very proud of your construction!

The next suggestion is a matter of convenience. An awning over the nestbox will keep the nesting material dry in the rain when you lift the lid to collect eggs. We found this out the hard way and now have a canopy over the coop.

Last edited:
Hi Mother: That hardware cloth apron is more than adequate! I assume the apron is actually attached to the base of the enclosure under the trim board at the bottom. My primary concern looking at the picture... I can see the enclosure sitting on top of some pavers and I wonder is it now or going to be anchored to the ground in some fashion? The reason I ask is because if there are no legs going into the ground for support, & with no lateral/diagonal supports, if something heavy hits it from the side (child or large dog?) the whole thing might/could just fold right over (kinda like a domino falling?) The nails at top and base are not/will not be strong enough against any heavy/determined force.
goodpost.gif

My mom wouldn't have it that way trust me - the only predators we have to worry about are birds of prey and rats - maybe coon and possum - but I don't even know about that anymore- they had the acreage fenced off completely due to neighbor dogs , coyotes , deer keeping her dogs barking all nite

These are runs so far and yes on the completed ones there's tops now - this was before tops got added - we're planning on growing greens or I've been looking into Fodder possibly - with hawks and bald eagles she wanted the sets here to be well protected - esp since some are bantam in this set up- we're still tweaking it all in between time since I'll be moving to property next door here shortly- we're hoping by next yr we can start selling chicks since there's no one local that does -
More dedicated breeders are needed on the West Coast. I'm tired of only seeing East Coast or Midwest breeders. I mean there's nothing wrong with those areas but so many backyarders are springing up in CA that we need closer breeders. May I be nosey and ask what breeds you'all are contemplating on raising?

This is our first one. 7'w x 12'l x 6'h. Repurposed dog house. I am already planning a rebuild of the coop, but just had to start somewhere.
Yep, we all gotta start somewhere but unfortunately most people just throw up something for the chicks that are on the way without securing the build. You have a sturdy framework but that poultry wire is not interlinked and predator claws/paws will mangle it and open a hole in it - happened to us. Hardwire 1/2 inch will keep out anything from small snakes and rats to large foxes, bobcats, or raccoons. Better to put the most expensive part of the build in 1/2 inch hardwire and if it isn't buried in the ground then put a paver stone, cinderblock, or property boulders around the entire base of the pen - it kept stray mutts from digging under our pen. Read my Post #5041 above re the growing problem of rural and city Raccoons.

Doghouses are wonderful to repurpose. We salvaged a couple to use as shelters for our free-range backyard hens, in addition to a popup canopy, low plywood shelters setup on cinderblocks, an old wheelbarrow, and stickery plants like rose bushes for them to hide/snooze under.

Your framework is well-built from what I can tell in your photo but the wire will be rated thumbs down unfortunately.

My mother designed and had her "chicken barn" built - course my mother has different views on things and people think it's more a house than a barn needless to say chicken barn - I plan on doing something similar when I reach the point but definitely on same as what she envisioned

There's a insulated brood/hatch room
6 stalls - 4 10x10 and 2 12x12 - 1 12x12 is for her future mini goat- rest is all chicken
Workshop
Bathroom and shower
Tack/store room
Milk room

Not to mention foundation is 3 feet down, metal sheeting around base up 2 feet under panels- each stall is high grade wire top too- nothing can chew or get in unless doors left open all nite- she made sure her investment was protected lol

Yes, it's a house. Anything with a bath and shower is a house.
lau.gif

Still working on inside of coop area but good start.
Yes, very nice!

Don't know how hot or humid your climate gets in the summer but if it is anything like ours you may want to consider a Dutch door where the top can be kept open with hardwire over it for more ventilation. Coops without windows or a LOT of cross-ventilation can cause ammonia odors and respiratory problems for chickens.

You've got a wonder start there!

Back
Top Bottom