post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have to say that there are some nice coops out there. Ours pales in comparison, but it serves the purpose...and I've never built anything in my life. We, my wife and I, thought we'd save some money by using an old plastic shed that was onsite when we bought our house. However, as the construction progressed, one mod led to another until we had our final product. please see below:

We started out by placing our posts for the façade, cutting holes for ventilation, and framing them in with hardware cloth, 2" screws, and 1x4's

Next we added the T-11 for the new exterior.

A hawk came by to check out his new fast food joint.

Tried out some paint

Added the roof

Chose a color we liked better, and started adding the run.

Added the poop boards and roosts, we wanted them all on the same level.

welcome-byc.gif
Outstanding job. I too had to change my wire to hardware cloth. Not big predators, it's the weasels that can get in the one inch wire that got my 2 chickens on separate occasions. Learned my lesson.

Thanks for the heads up. We live in SC....and we are guilty of using chicken wire on the run. The coop has hardware cloth 1/4" I think, if there is such a thing. It is solid like Ft Knox, the chicken door is a solid 2x12. As for the run, the chickens are only in there for a portion of the day, the rest is free range. The house is locked up pretty tight at night. We did bury "some wire", but it should probably be revisited. We will be adding an additional run for new/ broody/ sick birds, hopefully they don't all happen at the same time. It will have its own tiny coop also. The new run addition will have hardware cloth for sure, for that very reason.

Thanks for the heads up. We live in SC....and we are guilty of using chicken wire on the run. The coop has hardware cloth 1/4" I think, if there is such a thing. It is solid like Ft Knox, the chicken door is a solid 2x12. As for the run, the chickens are only in there for a portion of the day, the rest is free range. The house is locked up pretty tight at night. We did bury "some wire", but it should probably be revisited. We will be adding an additional run for new/ broody/ sick birds, hopefully they don't all happen at the same time. It will have its own tiny coop also. The new run addition will have hardware cloth for sure, for that very reason.
I found 1/2" hardware cloth x 3' x 50' on WalMart's site. $58. That'll do me.
highfive.gif

I'm new to all this. I currently have a rooster that I rescued that is in my garage right now. I plan on getting about 4 hens in about a month. Anyway, here is the coop I'm working on right now. I hope to be done with it and the run by the end of the month. It's 4x8.

I'm new to all this. I currently have a rooster that I rescued that is in my garage right now. I plan on getting about 4 hens in about a month. Anyway, here is the coop I'm working on right now. I hope to be done with it and the run by the end of the month. It's 4x8.
Good luck with your build! It look like it has got off to a great start. I'm curious about your rescued rooster story seeing as most people seem to start with chicks that they hope are all girls or pullets.

Good luck with your build!  It look like it has got off to a great start.  I'm curious about your rescued rooster story seeing as most people seem to start with chicks that they hope are all girls or pullets. 

Well actually I found Kernal about a month ago roaming around my front yard. I have attempted to find the owners but nobody claimed him. So he is a member of my household now. He is a younger light brahma from what I can tell. His comb and wattles weren't as big as they are now. He's a very handsome, gentle guy and fairly quiet. Unless he wants attention or a treat then he will let me know. Lol

Oooh I want a Mammoth donkey for livestock guardian... Or a retired mule... I cant do LGD

deb

That would be because a puny 140 pound LGD is too small an animal for you, you like BIG animals
wink.png

@Sylvester017
We adore our plain white Leghorns! They get along really well, very active and quiet, have been trained to jump up to eat treats out of my hand.

Having chickens was a complete accident. My son passed by a hatchery during the last week of June 2014, picked up four day-old chicks for fun, and brought them home in a paper bag. Week 1 was a like a petting zoo came to town, everyone was curious and excited. By week 2 the chicks had to be put in a large dog kennel to give them more room. By week 3, we were in a panic mode having chicks flying around inside the house. We moved them outdoor during the day and they flew up to the top of the trees. Being completely clueless about chickens and zero experience with pets, you can imagine the chaos from chasing the chickens around the yard. That's when Google became our best guide in coop design and learn up on what to do. Frankly, we didn't even know there were so many different species of chickens or personalities. Our previous chicken encounters have been with the Tyson and Purdue products. So far, I think we have done our homework in giving these girls a comfortable shelter, with a setup that our neighbors don't complaint (since we have a small lot), and a low maintenance routine for me. Meanwhile, my son left for college, left us with his $10 chicks which cost us $1K to build this coop.

Flying to the top of trees at 3 weeks???? Most chickens don't fly real well and most certainly not at 3 weeks. Every time your son asks for "pizza money" send him a picture of your lovely coop
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom