post your chicken coop pictures here!

Ya I was told no more than 4 because we don't use eggs that often and since we started with two and since two hens have us enough eggs but I wanted to sell show and breed so I got 15 now and I want to get some splash silkies to show and breed in my breeding pen
Keep your numbers in mind in case an emergency happens and you need to re-home your chickens for whatever reason. Stuff happens and it's good to have a future friend/home in mind just in case. That's when manageable numbers comes in handy.

Welcome to BYC! Your diy coop looks great!

One tip if i may, you will want to hang your feeders as high as possible to allow them to feed and drink or you will spend a lot of time cleaning them every day and the water will be dirty all the time. You may want to try nipple waterers to keep it clean. That's where I'm headed :)

This was our weekend! Started on the girls' run, still have to do the hardware cloth and install metal roof panels on half of the roof. Critter proof it too! So far I am very happy with it and I hope they will be too!

Nice build, pretty colors, nice to have 3 hens of the same breed to get along! For predator safety you probably already guessed a lot of BYCers will suggest some cattle wire or hardware cloth around the bottom perimeter of the flimsy chicken poultry hex wire. Stray dogs mangled our poultry wire beyond repair. Around the coop perimeter a row of cinder blocks or paver stones will help deter digging critters like dogs, raccoons, possums, etc. You never know you have chicken predators until you have chickens! Chickens love to dig deep holes for dust baths is why we put our first open-bottom small coop on bricks so they wouldn't undermine the foundation or dig themselves out. Clever critters those chickens!
I literally have almost zero chance of predators. This is my 2nd year with these hens just a new coop that I built. I live in the city and also have a solid privacy fence around my yard. Thanks for the tips though, just stuff that I don't really need in my situation however

Built this from a kit I got at tsc this week. Chicks are in it during the day and in the brooder at night. Going to put hardware cloth on the bottom and move them out full time this weekend.

Probably does more harm than good, as it prevents them from properly fluffing their feathers and trapping the warm air like they are designed to do...

They are much more likely to need warm boots. It gets down to -10 here and they dont seem to care. Two of my bantams lost a couple of toes but may be due to metal pipe roosts or accidents. Sweaters are cute but i wouldn't use them except at a show. (Probably not allowed)

Built this from a kit I got at tsc this week. Chicks are in it during the day and in the brooder at night. Going to put hardware cloth on the bottom and move them out full time this weekend.

I just put my heat lamps on a timer so i dont have to remember to plug them in and unplug them. Mine are using their brooders for cover in the run til i get up the nerve to integrate them with the mature hens. Since that's the only cover they have i have to turn the heat off during the day.

Back
Top Bottom