post your chicken coop pictures here!

Very nice coop build. Do you have the wire going down into the ground to protect from digging predators? If not, some 12x12 paver stones around the outside base will keep diggers out. Some paver stones as a walkway to the coop door will be appreciated in muddy/rainy weather. Our little 4x6 coop had 3 open wire walls and we had to tarp the coop from windy rain. Eventually we had to set a popup canopy over the little coop to stay dry in the rain when we collected eggs. The pavers kept a couple stray dogs from digging into the coop so I've become a strong believer in fortifying foundations.

No, we made our floor with a cinder block outline that is buried underground, with 3/4" pressure treated plywood on top that's coated the plywood with Lumberjack Rubberized Roof Coating for easy cleaning. So far so good!!

Mine coop is 1800 sqft, has running water, electric and a forced air furnace ;)

Mine are 8'×12' and 10'×16', no heat or water. Ohio winters, yippee!Had I taken over our barn I could have like you do but then where to store the tractor, motorcycles, tools and whatnot. But I like my set up as is and so thankful my hubby agreed to let me start my chicken addiction.

Last edited:
Lolol, I am rolling with it proudly. I need to find a shirt yet that states it. The coops aren't as grand as some may think, looks good, keeps them warm and have some electric. But if you had running water and a small wood stove you could rough it in them. Think you would open windows before long trying to make coffee in there.

My mother, who is in her early 50s, saw our coop and said she was coming to live in the chicken coop when she reaches retirement age. Haha.

My mother, who is in her early 50s, saw our coop and said she was coming to live in the chicken coop when she reaches retirement age. Haha.

I too have heard people say they want to live in my coops. Ideas were tossed around to build them to sell but it hasn't been done yet. Routing all the corners is a effort and so time consuming.
This is the original one we built.

I too have heard people say they want to live in my coops. Ideas were tossed around to build them to sell but it hasn't been done yet. Routing all the corners is a effort and so time consuming.
This is the original one we built.

A couple friends mentioned us making and selling coops and my sister "jokingly" stated she wanted us to build a tiny home for her. But it is a very time consuming process. Plus, I am too accident prone. I stood up into the ridge of our build not once, not twice, not even three times, but a total of four times! And don't even ask about all the other injuries haha. Needlessto say, I own a hard hat now though. Bwahahahaha!

A couple friends mentioned us making and selling coops and my sister "jokingly" stated she wanted us to build a tiny home for her. But it is a very time consuming process. Plus, I am too accident prone. I stood up into the ridge of our build not once, not twice, not even three times, but a total of four times! And don't even ask about all the other injuries haha. Needlessto say, I own a hard hat now though. Bwahahahaha!

I get to use a small rolling buck to stand on to drive spikes on our coop build until I can't reach. I am a bit vertically challenged, and show me how to run a power tool and turn me loose. I can't go up to do roofing with my back and nerve issues so I do ground crew then.

Had I taken over our barn I could have like you do but then where to store the tractor, motorcycles, tools and whatnot.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have an extra 1800 sqft building that I suspect was originally a hen house many, many decades ago... The previous owner had converted it into a wood working shop (thus the furnace) at some point, I converted it back to a livestock building...

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have an extra 1800 sqft building that I suspect was originally a hen house many, many decades ago... The previous owner had converted it into a wood working shop (thus the furnace) at some point, I converted it back to a livestock building...

Oh you lucky duck! We are running out of open ground back here so I have to be content, unless I buy more ground years from now.Not much open space back in the woods. Me, the hubby, the son, the dog and the birds . My goodness now I have Hank Jr in my head.

Back
Top Bottom