post your chicken coop pictures here!

yeah i really dont explain things very well. Thats why  i thought the stainless steel was such a good idea. When i went into home depot i only saw plastic then a light bulb went off in my head " oh yeah my hubby has a ventilation business im going to snoop around" lol so i took one of his hood to his vent and was like ah ha this is amazing! As i know mice like to hide out in the winter that whys i thought to close the damper but after reading suggestions im going to add poultry wire instead of the damper so it can be left open all year long and the picture makes it look so much smaller then what it is. The building is huge compared to the vent. I guess my chickens live in a mansion instead of a coupe. LOL :lol: plus i didnt use any insulation so theres little cracks and such from the boards not exactly lining up so there is defiantly air flow but not enough to bother the birds. 

It's okay! I think innovation and being creative is a great thing and you were just trying to share that :) and yeah, metal and covering with wire is definitely a great idea. My new coop is a mansion too lol

Draught = not a Lager ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself ... I will slap myself on the way out :smack lol

LOL i thought it was funny!

sorry if I misinterpreted the info. I think it's a pretty good idea. My reference to your post wasn't really about the possibility of sales, that's why I said "mild" attempt. It's just where it kinda got kicked off. I just thought it was time for everyone to "lay" (ha!chicken pun) to rest before feelings did get hurt. I enjoy this thread and group too much for that...
Thanks everyone
263a.png

Unfortunately, after reading through the whole debate, I think some feelings already were hurt :/

But I agree, love the group too much for that and it doesn't have to be that way

How are your nestboxes working for the size of your breeds? I have one large fowl that needs a really roomy nestbox.

I have the open box ones (my neighbor made them) and those plastic ones I just bought last month during chick days at Tractor Supply. Right now I only have 2 hens that are old enough to lay, the others are 3 months old and 2 months old respectively. The older hens are only used to the open topped wood boxes, so that is where they nest to lay eggs...I'm hoping my younger girls will use the plastic ones as they get older...

yeah i really dont explain things very well. Thats why i thought the stainless steel was such a good idea. When i went into home depot i only saw plastic then a light bulb went off in my head " oh yeah my hubby has a ventilation business im going to snoop around" lol so i took one of his hood to his vent and was like ah ha this is amazing! As i know mice like to hide out in the winter that whys i thought to close the damper but after reading suggestions im going to add poultry wire instead of the damper so it can be left open all year long and the picture makes it look so much smaller then what it is. The building is huge compared to the vent. I guess my chickens live in a mansion instead of a coupe. LOL
lol.png
plus i didnt use any insulation so theres little cracks and such from the boards not exactly lining up so there is defiantly air flow but not enough to bother the birds.
I think they are a marvelous idea. Hey your ventilation Hubby knows about these things

its a Damper.... But I have seen them used for pop doors with a little motor.... Hed make a million if he could make em up with the hinge offset a bit more and all out of stainless.

and yes they are large enough that a big bird can go through.

deb

I have the open box ones (my neighbor made them) and those plastic ones I just bought last month during chick days at Tractor Supply. Right now I only have 2 hens that are old enough to lay, the others are 3 months old and 2 months old respectively. The older hens are only used to the open topped wood boxes, so that is where they nest to lay eggs...I'm hoping my younger girls will use the plastic ones as they get older...

Hens generally like seclusion but since your older girls have been accustomed to open nestboxes they're comfortable with them. My old coop nestboxes were quiet round-holed entrances and very roomy at 16"x16"x2-ft tall but in my new coop the 4 nestboxes are open plastic boxes and don't even have any dividing wall sides. My girls quickly got accustomed to the open boxes - as long as there was straw in them they figured that was where they had to lay their egg. But I have this one large fowl that doesn't fit completely in the small 11.5 x 11.5 in boxes. She's always hanging over the front side because it is too short for her - poor baby. But knowing how chickens all like to lay in the same box she probably wouldn't use anything else anyway!

Why does the rain HATE US!!! At least my husband discovered that the roof material was not good to stand up to rain. Will replace it and God willing put walls on this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom