post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have two nest boxes in my coop not divided. At the current time I only have 5 hens however they all use one side of the nest box. I have seen 3 out of the 5 all huddled up on the one side. Go figure.

Really? That's so weird. I guess it depends on the birds. I just have heard of people that have both individual boxes and community boxes and they rarely use the community ones. I guess if it's all they had though they would. Mine tend to use the same one or two boxes now but will occasionally use the third or lay in the corner

Thank you! That is a lot of helpful information! I noticed the cleats were a little too far spaced yesterday myself and plan on adding a few. It's definitely a working progress. I took the week off last week just to finish what I have done so far since I started losing chicks to raccoon's Friday before last. As far as predators my biggest fear are the raccoon's, possum's, and chicken hawks. I live on half an acre and the entire area is fenced plus my dog is outside most of the day unless it's too hot for him. And luckily so far he's only showed curiosity for the chickens but I still watch him pretty close when I'm letting them roam around. I have an outside cat as well that keeps stray cats run off but I know for a fact he won't bother the chickens. I've seen him let a possum eat out of his dish and not complain at all. I really didn't consider that the chicken wire wouldn't be strong enough and appreciate the heads up. As soon as it's affordable I'll definitely have to reinforce it like you suggested. The next thing on my list is to add some dividers or something to the nest box and to install a hatch from the outside that I can collect the eggs from without going into the coop everytime. They all lay inside the box no problem but even though it's 15 square feet they act like only one hen can be in there at a time except for at night. So I thought dividers or even separate boxes made with 2x4's might help that.

That's a lot of work you've done and still plan to do - all worth it from the looks of the space you've provided your hens! Hens do like seclusion either when laying eggs or snoozing for the afternoon.

I have an open nestbox area in the new coop now but there are individual nestboxes in the area. I've been trying to find taller boxes because these seem kinda low to me. They're plastic and easy to empty and clean but can't find taller sides anywhere.

Our old little coop had secluded round entrance nestboxes and very roomy nesting area inside each divided box which they loved.

The old coop had 16x16" by 2-ft tall individual nestboxes - larger than needed for laying eggs but the hens loved to snooze in them - the back door of the egg collection box is open to photograph the two broody Silkies. I once read that hens like round-hole entrances and my girls certainly liked these round-hole roomy nestboxes.

So my coop is 4' wide at the narrowest point, and we are moving into a house where the gate to get it to the back yard is 3' 6" wide. This thing is all 3/4" pressure treated ply and pressure treated 2x4, so it would take an army of hulks to lift it. Any ideas how to Houdini this thing in?

Thank you! That is a lot of helpful information! I noticed the cleats were a little too far spaced yesterday myself and plan on adding a few. It's definitely a working progress. I took the week off last week just to finish what I have done so far since I started losing chicks to raccoon's Friday before last. As far as predators my biggest fear are the raccoon's, possum's, and chicken hawks. I live on half an acre and the entire area is fenced plus my dog is outside most of the day unless it's too hot for him. And luckily so far he's only showed curiosity for the chickens but I still watch him pretty close when I'm letting them roam around. I have an outside cat as well that keeps stray cats run off but I know for a fact he won't bother the chickens. I've seen him let a possum eat out of his dish and not complain at all. I really didn't consider that the chicken wire wouldn't be strong enough and appreciate the heads up. As soon as it's affordable I'll definitely have to reinforce it like you suggested. The next thing on my list is to add some dividers or something to the nest box and to install a hatch from the outside that I can collect the eggs from without going into the coop everytime. They all lay inside the box no problem but even though it's 15 square feet they act like only one hen can be in there at a time except for at night. So I thought dividers or even separate boxes made with 2x4's might help that.
You may want to run some electric wire around the top of the perimeter fence. I've seen coyotes go right over 6 foot fences. A fence is just a minor inconvenience for most chicken-hungry predators.

So my coop is 4' wide at the narrowest point, and we are moving into a house where the gate to get it to the back yard is 3' 6" wide. This thing is all 3/4" pressure treated ply and pressure treated 2x4, so it would take an army of hulks to lift it. Any ideas how to Houdini this thing in?

disassemble the gate.... after move in build a new gate 4 + feet wide opening.

deb

You didn't mention the type of fence, but regardless most types of fence can easily be taken down (chain link) or a section removed (wood) and since most post are generally 8 feet or more apart you should be able to walk it in with ease once you take out a section of the fence...

I have to agree with perchie and Meep. Just take down the portion of fence to getting in your yard then rebuild it. I took down a portion of my fence yesterday to move a coop into my backyard. I have 2 dogs the fence was temp fixed yesterday but today all back in place and secured.

Started with the base. I think the measurements were 6x9'

Started shaping the house.

Added a window to see what's inside, the laying box and a door on the other side.

Added the siding & painted white.

We used silver tin for the roof.

After everything was built we probably spent around $350 more or less. It's about 7 months old and still going strong. Was definitely a fun project & I'm so glad I had my husband and father in law to help build it!

Started with the base. I think the measurements were 6x9'

Started shaping the house.

Added a window to see what's inside, the laying box and a door on the other side.

Added the siding & painted white.

We used silver tin for the roof.

After everything was built we probably spent around $350 more or less. It's about 7 months old and still going strong. Was definitely a fun project & I'm so glad I had my husband and father in law to help build it!
Ventilation?

Back
Top Bottom