post your chicken coop pictures here!

IMG_1278.JPG

Hi! Well, Our first of 4 coops and runs are finished! This at one time was a 18x18 foaling stall, with 8x10 viewing room. When My horses began getting older (as did we) we decided to get back into chickens and have gleaned so much great info from BYC!
We outlined the entire coop with 2'x1' concrete border with pallet and wood flooring set inside the concrete edging. We decided this time to go with sand, in an 8x10 coop we have 1,000 lbs which is a breeze to clean, keeps the coop about 15 degrees cooler than the outside temperature, and in winter will lay plywood over the sand and deep bed with straw for warmth. Since my flock is 9 wks to 12 weeks, I haven't installed my nesting boxes yet, though have the skeleton for them done. The roosts are backed by a thin piece of wood with vinyl tiles on top and a gutter below, very easy to clean, what doesn't slide down the vinyl and go into the gutter, a simple wipe with damp cloth and it's shiny clean again. We finished the run which is 20x20 with a swing, various perches, a pool ladder they love to set on, a kiddie pool with sand, fine dirt, DE and Chicken herbs for their dust baths. I ran PVC pipes with 12 nipples, connected to a hose with a PSI converter to bring down to 5 psi from 30. I made two pipe feeders, one with oyster shell, one with chick grit, and have a veggie and fruit trough. Eventually, as my flock grows, the 20x20 stall will be made into 3 separate breeding coops with individual 10x10 runs. I have 5 Black French Copper Marans on lock down right now, will be breeding my silver polish, and Cuckoo Marans for now. It's been fun getting "back into the swing of things" after caring for my mom for 7 years, so my horses and chickens were put on hold. Mom passed In January, so filling my time with my chickens. Of course today began Lock Down, day 18 so am on pins and needles! :)
chickens1.jpg
chickens2.jpg
chickens3.jpg
chickens4.jpg
chickens5.jpg
chickens6.jpg
chickens8.jpg
chickens9.jpg
chickens11.jpg
chickens12.jpg
chickens13.jpg
chickens14.jpg
chickens15.jpg
chickens16.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

The two story structure was existing at the home I've rented since March 1. I have been improving it since we moved in.(we got our first six hens that weekend) I added the brooder on the right to move the ten chicks into once they were ready to join the flock. I have put some tarpaper and siding up to prevent drafts in the winter. I pulled off the roof boards because they did nothing to keep out the rain. I replaced that with plywood and tarpaper but haven't put the roof shingles on yet. I added the corner posts on the "porch" to hold it up because both corners were sagging down. I will eventually roof the porch as well. The majority of the material used in this coop is reclaimed from the property. Our landlord saves everything and we have a vast amount of "stuff" to choose from. I have a friend that calls it "obtainium". :)

Back
Top Bottom