Post your favorite fall recipe....

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
It's fall here on the Texas Gulf Coast at last. The temps are in the mid to 80's rather than the mid 90's and we are loving it. Sitting out on the deck fishing with the kids and watching the turtles pull themselves up on a log to sit in the sun. It's wonderful. I've got my fall garden planted and I'm looking forward to an abundance of winter squash (3 different variates), some collards, tomatoes and cucumbers.
We should start a collection of fall recipes with Halloween right around the corner. My favorite time of year.
This is one of my favorite fall recipes. It's also what we always have for Christmas dinner.

Seafood Gumbo

Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and about 1 cup of oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best, if you want to make you own but don't know how...Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.)

3 tablespoons olive oil
8 cloves garlic (minced)
2 large onions (chopped)
1 large bell pepper (chopped)
4 large ribs celery (chopped)
2-14oz cans diced tomatoes
1-8oz can tomato sauce
2-10oz packages frozen okra
1 bunch parsley ~leaves only~ (chopped)
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
2 tablespoons chicken bullion
1 tablespoon liquid crab boil
1 gallon water
2 lb. Shrimp ~peeled & de-veined
2 lb. Frozen ~meat only~ craw fish tails
2 lb. Mild flavored white fish (chopped in 1 in. cubes)

In a large gumbo pot heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and celery until they are tender.

Add the garlic and sauté until you start to smell it.

Add the tomatoes, parsley, green onions, tomato sauce, water, crab boil, and chicken bullion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 45 minutes.

Add the okra and bring back to a boil, simmer for 45 minutes.

Add seafood bring back to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.

We call this harvest salad at my house. You can find the ingredients to make it any time of year but apples and grapes particularly are best in fall. It is similar to waldorf salad.

Chop approximately equal amounts of celery and apples. Add halved seeded or seedless grapes and chopped nuts. I use vanilla yogurt with a dash of cinnamon as a dressing.

You can use any type of apple or grape. I usually use walnuts or pecans. Mix it together, good fresh or for a few days in fridge. If you are afraid you apples might discolor add a generous squeeze of lemon juice to the dressing.

Your gumbo looks great.

My kids love that salad, we always have it with our Thanksgiving dinner. But we use Cool Whip for the dressing...it's part salad and part dessert.

The gumbo and the harvest salad look wonderful! So I thought I'd contribute a dessert, after all that healthy stuff. Fall is also my favorite time of year, and here in New England, fall is synonymous with the bright scarlet, crimson and gold of maple leaves, pumpkins and winter squash.

I make many different pumpkin/squash desserts, but here's one of my favorites: Pumpkin (or squash) ice cream sandwiches with ginger snaps. Of course I have to use up as many eggs as possible, so the ice cream is made with a custard base. You can use store bought ginger snaps to save time, but if I make them from scratch I get to use up another egg! I won't retype the recipe here, because I just posted it on my blog where you can see it: http://ouroneacrefarm.com/pumpkin-ice-cream-sandwiches/

Back
Top Bottom