Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first egg!! A patriotic Henny laid it this morning.
ya.gif
She is 18 weeks old today.

yesss.gif
I found my first eggs today!!! I bought the pullet knowing that she "should be laying in the next couple of weeks" and sure enough, 2 1/2 weeks after I got her, Snowy gave me these:

There is a slight bluish tint to them. I found them on the floor. Then Snowy was sitting and moving bedding around where I found one of the eggs and sure enough when I went out again an hour later, there was another one. The two above the ruler are the found ones, and the one below is the one that came still warm. I wonder about eating the first two because we've been having 100 degree temps and they would have been laid Monday and Tuesday. Also, do you think there's a chance of them being fertile already? Hubby asked that and I didn't know. I have seen a roo jump on her but the back ends didn't look close enough to fertilize (IYKWIM). He was trying to dominate not procreate. I don't have an incubator so I can't try, besides, with the egg being so small, I doubt they'd be good for the chick to hatch from (like trying to hatch a double yolker - not enough room to properly grow). Hubby really didn't want to hatch anyway - don't know if he has any "funny" ideas about eating fertilized eggs. My 8 yr old son on the other hand didn't want me to fridgerate them - HE wants them to hatch. LOL Did find out that DH doesn't want to know when we're eating chicken if that chicken was previously running around in our backyard and not a store-bought one.

I put plastic eggs in the nest boxes so hopefully she'll know where I want them. She's still spending time in the "quarantine" room even though I've freed her from quarantine this weekend. She is still at the bottom of the pecking order and won't sleep up on the roost with the other chickens yet. I may shut the door with her out of the Q-room so she's forced to pick a different place to lay her eggs. If she doesn't want the roost yet, she can take a nest box until she's comfortable with the other girls.
Unfortunately, my other Easter Egger female-hopeful (the one that jumped on Snowy) proved to be a boy by crowing today.
th.gif
I saw suspicious feathers on him last night and wanted to get a closer look this morning but my son let them out before I got there (late getting to them because I wanted hubby's help with something out there but I had to help him with something first - too much to get done before it get's hot). He decided to tell me himself that he's a boy. Had another (younger) one crowing for a week already. I've got 2 EE cockerels and 1 EE pullet.

I've got at least a month to go before I start getting eggs from the rest of the flock.

Congrats on your first eggs! If you're worried about eating the older ones, you could always scramble them and feed them to the chickies.
Yeah, I thought of that possibility (feeding them back to the chickens). I'm almost sorry to crack them. They're so pretty, and little. Maybe I'll blow the eggs out and somehow preserve the shells. That way I can still look and marvel at my first eggs.
D.gif

CG

We got our first eggs this morning - and we had to have a neighbor send us a picture!! :) We got our girls on March 4th so they are 4 months old today!!

Well, this is a pic of our first "three" eggs. The darker of the two small ones was laid yesterday, the other two I found in the nest box the day before. I'm pretty sure there's only one hen laying at this point, as I wasn't faithfully checking every day (in the beginning).

I'm thinking the larger one may be a double yoker. I haven't had the heart to crack into them yet! LOL Our current count, as of this morning, is 4 eggs.

Got my 1st egg from a Barred Rock, "Roxy" on June 22 (18 weeks and 2 days old)!!
Got my 1st green egg on June 25 from "Queen B", one of my Easter Eggers!!

I had dinner with one of my girlfriends that night who told me she was pregnant, I think I was glowing just as much as she was! haha

We have eaten every egg so far and they have all been wonderful!

This was a while ago, but I think the egg looks just right, there in the carton. I posted it for $25 (carton included) on Craig's List as a joke, but thinking that maybe I might be able to pay for the chicken tractor, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom