Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The minty green ones are the new eggs in sequence right to left. Middle is double size. Laying for about a week. Comparing to the red sex linked three or one year olds in the back. The greens are from my one americauna. She is one of the eight new chicks I am raising this year. 19 weeks she started. The others are rare breeds and will be laying shortly. I got a partridge wellsummer and cuckoo moran for chocolate eggs but the cuckoo turned out to be a roo. My older Cuckoo roo and the new one have interesting chases when Cookie the new one interferes with any chicken new or old. I like that about him.

So nugget left an egg in the hutch this morning out of my reach and it cracked coming out. Openeed it the rest of the way to give to the dog, not olnly is it double yolk but it's fertilized!

I love the variety of every ones eggs. I have to beat the snake to the eggs in our older coop. The new one gave me my first two eggs and then nothing yesterday and today. An older Roo came visiting the new ladies. I wonder if he's distracted them from laying. Is that possible?

Runny eggs and grits! Yum!!

I found my first egg this afternoon. I went to check on the chickens just because I wanted to. I looked in the coop and nothing looked in their run and this is what I found.

it was laid outside the coop. but that is the only one I have found today. hopefully they will lay them in the coop from no on. they know where the nest boxes are.

Last edited:
So nugget left an egg in the hutch this morning out of my reach and it cracked coming out. Openeed it the rest of the way to give to the dog, not olnly is it double yolk but it's fertilized!
Gratz!!

another one of my americauna's laid an egg, but it's REALLY small. is this normal??
Yes, it takes a little while for them to get the hang of it. My Red Sex Link's first egg was over 2 oz because she was laying double yolkers! Now her eggs are smaller and single yolk but getting bigger each week.
I found my first egg this afternoon. I went to check on the chickens just because I wanted to. I looked in the coop and nothing looked in their run and this is what I found.

it was laid outside the coop. but that is the only one I have found today. hopefully they will lay them in the coop from no on. they know where the nest boxes are.

Sometimes the first ones sneak up on them.

Doing my AM check I caught Tundra laying her first egg! She must have jumped in right after the Red Sex Link was done because both eggs were warm.

Hi... congratulations on your new layers! It's kind of disappointing to find a broken one, sorry for that. I've noticed that sometimes they aren't quite sure what to do when that first egg arrives and it gets broken by accident. Have they been getting layer feed (which has calcium) as well as oyster shell or crushed egg shells from your kitchen? They really need that extra calcium to produce nice hard shells. A mis-shapen shell can happen when their body hasn't processed the calcium properly. I had one girl that had funny eggs occasionally but it was never a big problem.

ETA: The brown coloring is the final step in producing the egg. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the "ink jets" to get up to speed. :)
They are getting chick start and egg shells. I'm transitioning them to layer feed...currently they are getting 1/4 layer to 3/4 chick start, as well as the crushed egg shells. Monday I go to half and half, the week after 3/4 layer to 1/4 starter, then the week after on layer totally. And yes, I knew about the calcium :)

Gratz!!

Yes, it takes a little while for them to get the hang of it. My Red Sex Link's first egg was over 2 oz because she was laying double yolkers! Now her eggs are smaller and single yolk but getting bigger each week.

Sometimes the first ones sneak up on them.

Doing my AM check I caught Tundra laying her first egg! She must have jumped in right after the Red Sex Link was done because both eggs were warm.
I think that one did today. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom