Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been waiting forever it seems for my chickens to lay! yesterday morning, i went out to the coop and peeked in. a silkie was sitting in the corner and i thought it was odd because all the other chickens were out perching like normal. i went in the pen and in the coop and sure enough, she was sitting on an egg! a little tan, almost white egg. i stuck it in the nesting box and put her in there too in hopes that she would lay there next time (and encourage others to do the same).

my fiance went out to the coop this morning and found a second one, same color, just a tad larger. so it worked! i went out this afternoon, and found ANOTHER egg, this time a brown, kinda mottled egg, larger than the other 2. im SO excited!

i have 10 pullets (5 more in the brooder) and 3 roosters (2 more in the brooder). i want to start hatching out eggs once all the girls are laying (i have a gorgeous easter egger rooster id like to use - silkie/ameraucana - black with orange saddle/hackles). the silkie pullets are about 23 weeks or so, 4 EE pullets are 24 weeks, 2 EE are 19 weeks and a wyandotte pullet is 12 weeks or so. most of the second EEs are maran/ameraucana and have a straight comb, so im not expecting too many colored eggs from them. i think thats where the brown egg came from.

Congrats!! We too just starting getting eggs, and I'm so excited. It's like Christmas just going to the coop now. Lol.. Maybe I'll get another this afternoon. We have 6 layers. I would think the rest would jump in and lay too. Lol..

Leghorn and EE started to lay! Last 6 days worth:

I posted this morning about an egg I found yesterday...the "monster egg" that weighed 2.2 oz. Well, after I posted I went out to gather eggs...and I found another whopper...only this one weighed 2.6 oz!!!!! Another double yolker for sure!!!!

Today I found my first egg! I was so excited, but all the neighbors were in for the night, the family was out and I had no one to share my excitement with. I also think my friends see me as the crazy chicken lady and humor me when I talk chicken to them, so I decided to share my enthusiasm with other crazy chicken people.
My chickens are 20 weeks old, so I thought I'd be waiting longer for them to start. I think this was from my EE, Omelet. She has been making some odd noises lately.

]

Today I found my first egg! I was so excited, but all the neighbors were in for the night, the family was out and I had no one to share my excitement with. I also think my friends see me as the crazy chicken lady and humor me when I talk chicken to them, so I decided to share my enthusiasm with other crazy chicken people.
My chickens are 20 weeks old, so I thought I'd be waiting longer for them to start. I think this was from my EE, Omelet. She has been making some odd noises lately.

]
w2g soon you won't be buying eggs.

I love that you call yourself the crazy chicken lady! I go back and forth between the crazy dog lady and the crazy chicken lady (well, that is what my kids call me, anyway). My chickens are my girls...love those feathery rascals!

So I have a crazy question. I believe
I'm only getting an egg a day from my barred rock, RIR shouldn't be too far behind and my 2 EE are just starting to get their combs. I have had 6 eggs of daily laying with the barred rock. And they have all been in perfect clean condition. Should I still wipe them down or leave the bloom on them. It's not like they are sitting out long before we eaten them
1f604.png
so I've got in an egg bowl on the counter. As more girls start laying will I get yucky eggs or am I to anal about keeping everything clean?

When I asked this same question of friends that raise chickens (in real life, hadn't found this forum yet), they told me the only time they ever rinsed their eggs was when/if there was poop on them. My very first egg (I have 7 that lay) had poop on it and not a single one since, so the other girls figured out how to lay clean eggs from the get-go. I never wash mine...and we eat them almost as fast as they lay them and no one in my family has gotten sick (yet)...so I figure we are ok. hehe :) I know, not very scientific and I'm no expert, as I'm VERY new at this whole program. (we've even eaten raw cookie dough with them in it) Like my grandma always used to say, "God made dirt, dirt doesn't hurt". :)

So I have a crazy question. I believe
I'm only getting an egg a day from my barred rock, RIR shouldn't be too far behind and my 2 EE are just starting to get their combs. I have had 6 eggs of daily laying with the barred rock. And they have all been in perfect clean condition. Should I still wipe them down or leave the bloom on them. It's not like they are sitting out long before we eaten them
1f604.png
so I've got in an egg bowl on the counter. As more girls start laying will I get yucky eggs or am I to anal about keeping everything clean?
It's all personal preference. The bloom protects the egg...EVEN from poop...as long as the egg does not get wet. Therefore, the eggs are shelf-stable, meaning no refrigeration required. As long as the eggs are kept somewhere that's not hot, they will be good for a couple of months (Did you know that the eggs you buy from the store are 3 months old, and get washed ONLY right before they are put in egg cartons and shipped to the supermarket?). This doesn't mean that you won't get a bad egg every once in a while, but you'll KNOW it's a bad egg...it will smell bad.

I keep mine in cartons on the counter, and only wash them right before I cook them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom