Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well it took a few weeks - but it's here!! So excited, let the omelettes begin
clap.gif
That's an interesting color, is it really greyish purple like it shows on my screen? And congratulations!

Looks like light brown with a heavy bloom possibly but could be the lighting. Some chickens produce more bloom than others which changes the over all appearance. Every so often we would get a Red Star egg that didn't quite look like her normal brown eggs.

Congratulations, all! It was such a nice feeling to find that first egg! I am sure only one of my seven is laying, but I have gotten four more from her. The others better get busy soon because my little layer is quickly becoming my favorite of the group. They all look pretty much identical, but I am tempted to watch her lay and put a band on her leg to identify her.

Congratulations, all! It was such a nice feeling to find that first egg! I am sure only one of my seven is laying, but I have gotten four more from her. The others better get busy soon because my little layer is quickly becoming my favorite of the group. They all look pretty much identical, but I am tempted to watch her lay and put a band on her leg to identify her.
That's exactly what I finally did with Ida. I have three Red Sex Links and they look so much alike that I really have to study them to see which is which. Well, they rarely stand still long enough. It was only by luck that I was able to identify Ida when she laid our first ever egg. So while I was out cleaning the poop deck one day, she hopped into the nest. I changed my shoes, ran into the house and grabbed one of my granddaughter's hair ties, then got the chickens that were still in the coop into the run and shut the pop door, leaving only the chicken on the nest inside. When I heard the egg song, I went in, picked her up off the coop floor, and put that band on her leg. Now I just have to figure out which other chicken is laying (I seem to find an egg about 2 hours after I've picked up Ida's), but can't catch the second chicken in the act. The hair tie is working great, by the way. She pecked at it for all of 5 seconds and hasn't looked at it since, nor have the other chickens messed with it.

WooHoo -- look what DS and I found when we went out to close up the coop tonight!!!!

Here is "Eggy" (name courtesy of DS) next to a *large* store bought egg

It took EVERY bit of self control I had to not reach in and grab it when I realized it was there - instead I let DS "find" it after suggesting he check the nest boxes to be sure none of the golf balls were missing (last night we realized someone had been investigating nests because the balls in a couple had been moved around) -- the look on his face made it worth not getting to be the one to find the first egg, he was beside himself.

I am 99% certain it was either Nugget or Mrs. Patmore......

At least now DH can shut up (meant in the kindest possible way) about "where are all these eggs we're supposed to be getting?" (no matter how many times I've explained how long it might take for them to start laying) - given that they aren't yet 20 weeks old I'd say he needs to be rather pleased!

WooHoo -- look what DS and I found when we went out to close up the coop tonight!!!!

Here is "Eggy" (name courtesy of DS) next to a *large* store bought egg

It took EVERY bit of self control I had to not reach in and grab it when I realized it was there - instead I let DS "find" it after suggesting he check the nest boxes to be sure none of the golf balls were missing (last night we realized someone had been investigating nests because the balls in a couple had been moved around) -- the look on his face made it worth not getting to be the one to find the first egg, he was beside himself.

I am 99% certain it was either Nugget or Mrs. Patmore......

At least now DH can shut up (meant in the kindest possible way) about "where are all these eggs we're supposed to be getting?" (no matter how many times I've explained how long it might take for them to start laying) - given that they aren't yet 20 weeks old I'd say he needs to be rather pleased!
Aww, I think that's so cool that you did that! I'd have done the same thing and let Katiebug find the first egg, but she was at camp and I didn't want to wait THAT long. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom