Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our chicks on 4/10 and they were about 3 days old. Yesterday we got our first egg from our Red Comet, Anna! Funny how exciting one little egg can be, but it represents a lot of hard work on our part! We were given an Old English bantam hen from another person on this forum and she was already laying when we got her so this isn't technically our first egg, but it's the first from the original flock. The bantam egg is on the left and our Red Comet's egg is on the right.

We got our chicks on 4/10 and they were about 3 days old. Yesterday we got our first egg from our Red Comet, Anna! Funny how exciting one little egg can be, but it represents a lot of hard work on our part! We were given an Old English bantam hen from another person on this forum and she was already laying when we got her so this isn't technically our first egg, but it's the first from the original flock. The bantam egg is on the left and our Red Comet's egg is on the right.

Got our 2nd egg just a bit ago but it's not from the same chicken as the first because it looks a bit pinkish and the first one was a light brown.
I'm thinking it belongs to our barred rock twilight on account that she has the next biggest comb and waddles and their are 2 feathers next to it, one from the rir and one br. What do you think?
but yet again it was not in the nesting boxes... I fear the kids who are responsible for chicken chores are going to end up stepping on them :/

This happened yesterday morning the one on the right is store bought and the one on the left is one of our white leghorns first egg!

Sandywitch, kids are so creative. My daughter named her BR snuggles. We share our coop with our neighbors and their 3 chickens are named Twilight, snowball and brownie. Really we just share all the chickens and since the coop is in our yard I get to spend a lot of time with them all. I definitely will keep a better watch on their combs and wattles. I did notice that one of the BRs Wattles looked bigger than the others so I can see where 2 of the same breed would grow at different rates too. Who knew I'd be this excited about chickens laying eggs! It was seriously like Christmas morning when I saw the egg and I am sure I had a smile all morning because of one tiny egg! I think I'm chicken crazy!
The first egg is special in many ways, and the combs and wattles on all hens grow just before starting to lay, the wattles and cone help keep the chickens blood cool as they do not sweat, and producing an egg is hard work.

First time chicken owners, we have had our 5 chickens for 16 weeks now and we finally got our first egg that we found this morning. We are so very excited... it actually threw our whole morning off and we almost got the kids off to school late. My daughter ended up eating breakfast in the car and my son went to school with his hair sticking straight up!! Oh my. Anyway I have questions!!!
First off we don't know which one of these lovely ladies laid this egg... I have read that all 5 of ours will probably be giving us some shade of brown. I guess it really doesn't matter too much who laid it but can any of you tell what breed may have laid it? We have a buff orpington, australorp, 2 barred rocks, and a RIR.
Next we have nesting boxes in the coop but I actually found the egg on the ground in the corner of the coop beside the dresser we turned into nesting boxes, how do you suggest we get them to lay in the boxes? Because if they lay on the ground all the time our 5 kiddos that do the chores may end up smashing the eggs... they aren't always observant. Another thing is that all our chickens are the same age, do you think we will start getting eggs on a regular basis now that 1 laid an egg? How long will it take for the eggs to get to the actual size that they will be... I'm sure you can tell by the picture that it is much smaller than an average sized store bought egg. I think that's all my questions.

Most of all we are soooo very excited. We have worked hard to keep these girls happy for the past 16 weeks, we actually almost lost the brown one but we managed to save her and we are so glad. We've only had them for 4 months but they are part of the family now and we love them!!

Renee
I would say the road island red, they are knonw for maturing early, BR & orpington matrue a little older and the australorp even later.

Also a first time chicken owner, and super excited that some of our girls have started laying. They just turned 19 weeks yesterday! We have 10 Buff Orpingtons, 1 golden laced Wyandotte and 1 Easter Egger. I think they are all Buffs that are laying so far.

We got our first egg 5 days ago.

Since then we have gotten 11 more, but one was laid on the roost and it broke when it hit the poop board beneath, so our carton is one short of a dozen. We've been saving them all week for Sunday breakfast. Can't wait to cook these up tomorrow morning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom