Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First eggs are so cool. I know even as a veteran with 2 weeks experience in egg harvesting, I find every trip to the coop to get eggs exciting and am thrilled with every egg!..

So Grats, with luck when you're a veteran egg harvester, like me, you will still enjoy them.

although 2/5 chickens here have started laying...its really neat to look behind a box on the patio and find I just hit the jackpot on a Easter Egg hunt.....now I need to figure out how many of the three EE's I have are hiding their treasure here!!!! I thought they were all from the same one I saw go back there yesterday but a member in the EE forum pointed out it may be multiple birds because of the different size eggs...the next several days will tell the story but everyone here was laughing and smiling after finding the JACKPOT

although 2/5 chickens here have started laying...its really neat to look behind a box on the patio and find I just hit the jackpot on a Easter Egg hunt.....now I need to figure out how many of the three EE's I have are hiding their treasure here!!!! I thought they were all from the same one I saw go back there yesterday but a member in the EE forum pointed out it may be multiple birds because of the different size eggs...the next several days will tell the story but everyone here was laughing and smiling after finding the JACKPOT
Did you find all 7 eggs at the same time in the nest?

If you did it could just be a progression as the eggs get bigger from the chicken. When I found my first nest I had three chickens using it. They had hid it in an old "lean to" my grandpa had built off the granary. Those eggs are all appear to be the same color/shade. My EE all lay a slightly different shade.

Sure is fun and exciting to see who lays what!

I found yesterday one of my Black Australorps lays a small light brown egg, which I found odd because I have another one that lays a round large real dark brown egg....

How do I keep my EE from laying eggs on the floor in the deep litter? The first few eggs she laid in the floor shavings UNDER the nest boxes in the corner of the coop. The next two eggs I found were each in a different corner of the coop in the litter on the floor! I didn't mind her laying just under the nest boxes since it is in the vicinity of the boxes, but now she has laid in 3 different corners!

How do I keep my EE from laying eggs on the floor in the deep litter? The first few eggs she laid in the floor shavings UNDER the nest boxes in the corner of the coop. The next two eggs I found were each in a different corner of the coop in the litter on the floor! I didn't mind her laying just under the nest boxes since it is in the vicinity of the boxes, but now she has laid in 3 different corners!

Here is a picture of where she laid her first egg. The green crate at the top of the picture is one of the nesting boxes. I thought about just putting a nest box on the floor in the corner and if she starts laying in it then move it back up off the floor.

First eggs are so cool. I know even as a veteran with 2 weeks experience in egg harvesting, I find every trip to the coop to get eggs exciting and am thrilled with every egg!..

So Grats, with luck when you're a veteran egg harvester, like me, you will still enjoy them.
LOL! So funny! Having been collecting eggs since, well, last Thursday, I echo duluthralphie's sentiment
big_smile.png

Find myself checking in on the girls and peeking at the nests more than ever, waiting on that next egg! May the excitement never fade.

If you move the cutains aside,she will get in the box, she probably dont know that she can get in them proably thinks they are a wall

Here is a picture of where she laid her first egg. The green crate at the top of the picture is one of the nesting boxes. I thought about just putting a nest box on the floor in the corner and if she starts laying in it then move it back up off the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennianne

LOL! So funny! Having been collecting eggs since, well, last Thursday, I echo duluthralphie's sentiment
big_smile.png

Find myself checking in on the girls and peeking at the nests more than ever, waiting on that next egg! May the excitement never fade.

Last edited:
It looks like you have the crate where she has to get in from the top, and since you said she may think it's a well, I may have a solution. Put the crate in so that the opening is toward the open coop. They like to walk in, turn around, and look around. So try putting it into the coop sideways. She may go in it then. If you can put something across the bottom of the opening two or three inches wide to hold some straw or wood chips or shredded paper in for nesting material, that would help too. It would keep any bedding material from falling out. That egg is lovely, though!
thumbsup.gif

It looks like you have the crate where she has to get in from the top, and since you said she may think it's a well, I may have a solution. Put the crate in so that the opening is toward the open coop. They like to walk in, turn around, and look around. So try putting it into the coop sideways. She may go in it then. If you can put something across the bottom of the opening two or three inches wide to hold some straw or wood chips or shredded paper in for nesting material, that would help too. It would keep any bedding material from falling out. That egg is lovely, though!
thumbsup.gif

Found a better picture of my nest box! It is a file crate with the front cut out with a lip on the bottom. The opening faces into the coop. I lined the crate with a plastic feed bag and filled with pine shavings. There are two crates stacked and I know somebody has been making nests in the top crate because I smooth out the shavings and when I come back there is a nest dug into the middle. Maybe it is a soon-to-be 2nd layer that is actually nesting in the crate. But I have seen my layer go into that crate, too. Silly chickens.

Found a better picture of my nest box! It is a file crate with the front cut out with a lip on the bottom. The opening faces into the coop. I lined the crate with a plastic feed bag and filled with pine shavings. There are two crates stacked and I know somebody has been making nests in the top crate because I smooth out the shavings and when I come back there is a nest dug into the middle. Maybe it is a soon-to-be 2nd layer that is actually nesting in the crate. But I have seen my layer go into that crate, too. Silly chickens.
Luv your nest box!

I have some faux eggs in my boxes, have read that can help them decided a location is good for laying, maybe you could try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom