Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

There we go! Finally worked. That's all five of the first eggs.

First Egg! Flo (RIR) has laid everyday since for 9 days straight - pretty good for a beginner. Another RIR started a few days later but not as consistent so far. Looking forward to the rest making their contribution.

The first day that I got eggs, I got three! I wasn't ready for them either! I knew they'd be coming soon but it happened sooner than I expected and I didn't have my nesting boxes built yet so they just laid them in the coop floor! I put a wood crate with straw in it for the next day and added a fake wood egg to encourage using the nest instead of the floor. It worked and I had 4 eggs the next day! I got busy and got my nesting boxes built and put in within a couple of days! This is a picture of the first 3 eggs we got!

2 eggs in the middle and I'm pretty sure they are from my 19 week old Dominics. The larger eggs from 2 year old hens. They are so cute!!!! The one egg looks blue in the pic but it isn't in person. However I do have an Americauna pullet (same age) who is squating down. Maybe it's hers?

Last edited:
@pitterpat4353, I used golf balls, because I read it and we have a zillion of them. Worked perfectly. They didn't take to the fake easter eggs, I think because they are sooo light in weight. Golf balls must feel heavier to them, like real eggs. The fake eggs you buy at the feed store will work too, but they're expensive to me at $5.99 each!

Last edited:
She was trying to get into my tool shed for 2 days and had to get her out. Then she went into the coop and was trying to make a nest on top of the nesting boxes! I picked her up and put her in a nest and she laid her first egg in 15 minutes. She is a RIR 18 weeks old to the day. I was very happy and am anticipating the rest of them to get on the ball!

Yeah, you show her where to lay! I did the same thing with my first to lay, but it took her half an hour and one of her sisters went into the coop to the nest box to comfort or cheer her on, the last five minutes. I don't know which. My Avatar is her when she exited the coop after she laid her first egg. It was hot that day. GC

George USMC R, I'm smiling. Your girl was a bit confused but it all worked out with your help. I know both you and the chicken were thrilled with that first egg. Have fun collecting future eggs.. Kay in NC.. 8 28 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom