Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is our first egg! Excuse my dog in the background with her glowing, demon eyes.
I was just about to say "Look out, that 'coon is back..."
tongue.png

4 blue eggs in 24 hours. Since I have only one hen that I KNOW lays blue that means at least one of them is new. WHICH one(s?) is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
OK I went to clean the chicken's trays and collect any eggs and came across what looks like it might be a new one sitting in one of the trays. It's a brown egg, darker than most that my birds usually lay. However 'Ol Red (my PR) has produced a few dark ones in her days. Here's a picture of the 'new'(?) egg,

The small egg on the left is from one of the August EEs (they've been laying for about a week now), And on the right is one of Braveheart's pink eggs, I forgot to add something for scale but I would say that Braveheart's would rate a 'large' on the supermarket egg scale. My question though is about the middle one, I'm thinking it might be Nut's but I'm not sure For one it looks a bit large for a 'first egg" and two, is it dark enough to be from a Cuckoo Marans?

OK I went to clean the chicken's trays and collect any eggs and came across what looks like it might be a new one sitting in one of the trays. It's a brown egg, darker than most that my birds usually lay. However 'Ol Red (my PR) has produced a few dark ones in her days. Here's a picture of the 'new'(?) egg, The small egg on the left is from one of the August EEs (they've been laying for about a week now), And on the right is one of Braveheart's pink eggs, I forgot to add something for scale but I would say that Braveheart's would rate a 'large' on the supermarket egg scale. My question though is about the middle one, I'm thinking it might be Nut's but I'm not sure For one it looks a bit large for a 'first egg" and two, is it dark enough to be from a Cuckoo Marans?
My golden comet lays a dark egg just like that. Even her first egg was huge too. It is darker then my black copper marans egg, which is only about a 3 on the marans egg color chart. So technically, from what i've read, she isnt considered a BCM then.lol

I have one lady who is not quite a year. She's a huge girl. And she still lays that size, of the middle egg. When i bought her as a baby they told me she is an ISA Brown.... she looks like a RIR... but she is the only one i have that is brown, the rest all are black ausralorps. She lauds a small dark brown egg everyday since she was 4months old....hesr look.exactly like your middle egg in the photo.. do you have any ISA Brown ir Rhode Island Red?

Yes, it's dark enough to be a Cuckoo Marans', especially if she's not from a specialty breeder. My feed-store Cuckoo Marans lays an egg with a similar base color; usually they will look darker because of the speckled coating. My girl is still a pullet and her speckling is not consistent. Some days it's big speckles, some days it's nearly a smooth coat. But here's a typical egg of hers next to eggs from my Buff Orpington, Silver-laced Wyandotte, and Partridge Cochin (who all lay light brown eggs a very similar shade). The last two finally just started laying this month at like 9 months old! Here is is a picture of the first day all four laid!

Last edited:

Pipi Longstocking my Olandsk Dwarf hen laid her first egg yesterday, the skinny elongated one on the right (see photo). Today she laid a more normal looking one on the right. My theory is that the first one is long and skinny and forges the way for all the eggs that follow. The birth canal needs to be stretched This has happened with my call ducks-and seems to be the way with the smaller hens. I cracked open the skinny one open to see if it was fertile and it was not, I was going to put the normal egg in the incubator but I will have to eat it, which really kills me because with the cost of the hen, it is a very expensive breakfast. The rooster has not been spending time with Pipi much yet. But I made sure he was with her today. He needs to go in at night because his crow is very loud and sounds like a woman screaming. Each one of my roosters has a unique crow, and they all go to bed inside at night in small cages/boxes so as to disturb the neighbors a little less. Its impossible to do this with my Call Ducks who are really noisy, but need too much water to make inside housing at night practical. So all my eggs are fertile, in case anyone is looking for some.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom