Post Your Game Cam Pics Here!!!

Barred Owl, with a mink in its talons! (OK, I cheated; I came upon this owl while showshoeing down by the beaver pond. It tried to fly away with its prize but couldn't get off the ground, so flew away; I returned and set up the camera on the kill site.) BTW, the mink was beheaded when I found it, so I guess owls can be another culprit when we find headless birds...

The bobcat's territory, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, can be as large as 126 sq miles. This of course depends on a variety of factors such as prey distribution and gender. Depending on these factors the territories are commonly in a 25 - 30 sq mile range and as little as 8 sq miles for males, 5 sq miles for females. They mark their territory with feces, urine, and by clawing trees or large shrubs. Though the bobcat prefers rabbits and hares, it will hunt anything from insects, chickens, and small rodents to deer. Prey selection depends on location and habitat, season, and abundance. Some hunters go after bobcats because their pelts make fine trophies. Other hunters kill them to protect small game populations and pets.
They also eat carrion. Here is a pic of one at a kill site of a dead doe (one of two I found in my back woods during hunting season.) In this pic he is seeing the approach of a coyote... note the arched back. (At this kill site, I also got Black Bear, multiple Coyotes, red fox, and opossum ... all in a two day period!)

Barred Owl, with a mink in its talons! (OK, I cheated; I came upon this owl while showshoeing down by the beaver pond. It tried to fly away with its prize but couldn't get off the ground, so flew away; I returned and set up the camera on the kill site.) BTW, the mink was beheaded when I found it, so I guess owls can be another culprit when we find headless birds...

I had an owl kill several of my chickens and yes they do take the heads off.

Great pic! I would much rather have the owl around then the mink!

They also eat carrion. Here is a pic of one at a kill site of a dead doe (one of two I found in my back woods during hunting season.) In this pic he is seeing the approach of a coyote... note the arched back. (At this kill site, I also got Black Bear, multiple Coyotes, red fox, and opossum ... all in a two day period!)
I don't think that is a coyote. :)

Back
Top Bottom