Post your pics of your silly harvest stuffs! Here are tomatoes!

I start about 100 tomato plants on flats inside about 2-2.5 months before the last frost. Start about the middle of march, plant in mid may. Sow the first and only crop of 68 day corn in June and harvest that about 100 days later! They sit under lights all day and have a fan on them for about 2 hours a day to get the stems to strengthen up. They spend the last 3 weeks prior to transplant hardening off by lunging them in and out every day. By the time they go out, I pick the best 70 or so which are 6 inches tall and burry them in the ground so only the top two major leaves show. Even though I only grow the 54 day early girl and the 64 day roma's, season is just too short and cool for these interderminant plants to get over about 2.5 feet tall before it gets cold and the plants start to die back. I wish I could start earlier but I don't want the plants to become so root bound they flower in the pot. Flowering in the pot while the plant is small is part of the plants last ditch effort to produce offspring and by that point will not thrive as well after transplanted. It's hard to get enough sunlight on them in the house... it's almost always cloudy here. Snow peas do well and green beans were great this season. It was a cool summer. I think the high was in the mid 90's with only like a week or so in the 80's... I still complain it's too hot when it's 75 out though.
lol.png

Last edited:
I actually have the two tomato plants that got fried from no water coming back!!! I think I'll bring them in and see if I can keep em going too.
I have to make room for my Lavendar, Scented Geranium, Lemon Verbena and a Dieffenbachia that I got for 1/2 price at Wallyworld and it actually came back, and an Aloe Vera that I got at CTchicks Chickenstock last summer.

Tomatoes are crazy hardy huh! I accidently broke off a main branch once and dumped it in the weed pile... lo and behold, it rooted and produced tomatoes! I can't seem to grow anything other than the basics... just tomatoes, corn, zucchnis, peas, beans, potatoes, and pumpkins. I'd like to grow a good lettuice or broccoli but it just doesn't work out!

Back
Top Bottom