Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

Very nice set up... we haven't even thought about how we're going to do our pop door yet. The run is almost done... just have to build a gate... maybe tomorrow. Yay. And the pop door, roosts, nesting boxes and windows will be next. Still a long way to go.

My Locking "HINGE" Device

(OPEN POSITION) (LOCKED POSITION0
Quote:
A well oiled hinge (the smaller the better) mounted to the top of a guillotine style door on a block to impede the hinge from going beyond 180º weighted on the free edge with in my case sinkers from my tackle box.

This allow the hinge to rest in the open position with gravity's help..
OUTSIDE he door raised by a predator the hinge in the 180º position(___) comes in contact with a cross member above the door.

INSIDE the door raised by a string the hinge in the 90º position (_l) clears the cross member above the door.

EASY PEASY

Last edited:
I got the Cheeper Keeper for Christmas. I was getting tired of having to pay neighborhood kids to let my birds out in the morning and lock the door at night when we were out of town. It's on a photo cell so it raises the door when the sun comes up and lowers the door once the sun goes down. Game changer!!!

I built mine. I didn't want to use any wood so I made the tracks out of some left over HDPE plastic sheet and the door is made from some left over aluminum tread plate. I cut saw kerfs in the HDPE side rails on my table saw.

26024093553_0d87382301_c.jpg

Door has a HDPE stop on the top to help seal it and a wooden knob so it can be operated manually if there is a problem with the add a motor.

26601357226_ffc148c6d5_c.jpg

26354265590_df6147bd9b_c.jpg

Here is the frame mounted inside the coop.

26627606255_a20cbbb0fe_c.jpg

Door installed. I didn't do any sort of latch but the door is 4" longer than the opening so it would be pretty difficult for any sort of predator to get it open from the outside.

26562173611_7390943501_c.jpg

Add a motor and timer installed.

26694556325_e99eee833d_c.jpg

26694556735_c71a927b5f_b.jpg

View of the door from the outside.

26627605355_57d3dca2d4_c.jpg

That hair pin's making me nervous...I know, I know it's probably pretty tight....but still.

It is amazingly tight on the screw. I'm not married to it. The hairpin came with the add a motor and the instructions say that it's necessary to ensure that the motor isn't damaged if the door is frozen or blocked in some way. Not sure if I'll leave it or not. I have the door operating now in field testing mode
big_smile.png
so I'll see how it goes before the babies actually go in the coop. I'm pretty confident that the door is not going to freeze or otherwise be stuck but you never know.

Last edited:
I love the simplicity of your door @TerryH!!! Please keep us posted about that add a motor.. that's probably the route I will go too. I've looked at the automatic doors, but they are so expensive. Thanks for the great pictures!

I love the simplicity of your door @TerryH !!! Please keep us posted about that add a motor.. that's probably the route I will go too. I've looked at the automatic doors, but they are so expensive. Thanks for the great pictures!

Thanks. I will rep[ort back on how it goes with the motor. I've done a lot of step by step wood working and drag racing type things so the step by step pictures and descriptions are kinda in my blood.
smile.png
I enjoy doing it.

Back
Top Bottom