Mar 14, 2013
What do y'all use to protect the flock?
Post Below
2b07.png
2b07.png
2b07.png

Walther Talon .22 caliber air gun.

http://www.airgundepot.com/walther-talon-22.html

If you order one through a dealer factory direct you can have a gas piston installed instead of the spring. It's what I did. Much quieter, less recoil and no jerking from spring.

Looking around just now I see Crossman has one with nitro piston over counter at Walmart for less than $150. Would be a nice little predator gun especially if your in town limits like I am. Don't be fooled, these are not toys and the same care needs to be given when shooting. A .22 long riffle pushes 1400ft per second. These push 950ft per second. More than enough to take down fox, racoon etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-N...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

Last edited:
Yes and no.

The advertised speeds for most pellet guns, especially the lower priced ones, is over hyped. Keep in mind also that a lead .22 pellet weighs much less than a .22lr bullet.

A pellet gun can definitely kill those animals, but unless it's one of the high dollars ones, it's going to take some very precise aim to do so.

Country/rural area I'd suggest a 22 caliber rifle or a 410 shotgun.

In a subdivision a .177 caliber air powered rifle.

Know your state and local laws before purchasing!

Yes and no.

The advertised speeds for most pellet guns, especially the lower priced ones, is over hyped. Keep in mind also that a lead .22 pellet weighs much less than a .22lr bullet.

A pellet gun can definitely kill those animals, but unless it's one of the high dollars ones, it's going to take some very precise aim to do so.

Oh I know the added velocity in advertisement. You should never use those alloy pellets in these anyway. With lead pellets it leaves residue that increases velocity and accuracy though will be less speed in a new gun than alloy pellets and likely never as fast but 50 ft per second less is still a lot.

As for killing power, .22 caliber is .22 caliber whether it's a full lead bullet or hollow pellet the size of hole is the same. The advantage of hollow pellet is it will collapse on impact for far less chance of ricochet in townships. The actual speed with a lead pellet is still enough to travel through a raccoon size animal is all I'm saying.

Oh I know the added velocity in advertisement. You should never use those alloy pellets in these anyway. With lead pellets it leaves residue that increases velocity and accuracy though will be less speed in a new gun than alloy pellets and likely never as fast but 50 ft per second less is still a lot.

As for killing power, .22 caliber is .22 caliber whether it's a full lead bullet or hollow pellet the size of hole is the same. The advantage of hollow pellet is it will collapse on impact for far less chance of ricochet in townships. The actual speed with a lead pellet is still enough to travel through a raccoon size animal is all I'm saying.

The size of the hole has little to nothing to do with killing power, it is all about energy which is a combination of weight and speed. You will have a hard time getting a pellet rifle to equal the energy produced by a 22lr with a 40 grain bullet

yeah, obama might be watching anways i lost most of my guns in a boating accident

Ah yes, the great boating disaster of 2010, seems there were many on that boat that day, all carrying their entire collections

Back
Top Bottom